Chapter 1: Life Lived Differently

Chapter 1

My eyes opened into the brightness of the sun. I stand myself up to face the challenges that wait. My hands reached towards the door knob. When the door revealed what had been concealed in it, I then knew life was about to change.

            In front of me was a mirror. Although it reflected my surroundings, I could not see myself. It was like I wasn’t seen by anyone in the world. Sure enough, that was just what happened.

            My feet scurry down the steps of the stairwell and my mouth is ready to taste delicious food, just like any other day. Except, my parents would not know I was there. I glance right in front of them and they still could not see me. I even uttered a few words. Then, I realized something horrifying.

            “Mom, Dad, do you have breakfast ready? I’m starving!” I asked.

            “Did you here that Sam?” My dad said in concern.

            “Hear what Pete?” My mom exclaimed confused.

            “I thought someone was talking to us, but no one else it here, not unless Spencer is still sleeping,” he realized.

            Dad ran upstairs only to realize I wasn’t there. I knew panic would overcome him, and, eventually fear.

            “Honey, where is Spencer?” He yelled concerned.

            “I don’t know dear, he’s not down here,” She alarmed.

            “I’m right here!” I screamed.

            “Where?” mom responded.

            “Look mom, I don’t know why you can’t see me but….

            I instantly gave her a hug and words were not needed to comprehend what was going on. At that point, my parents and I were filled with horror. We didn’t know what to expect. How would life fulfill its path if I were ultimately …. INVISIBLE!

            When life had truly become real to us, my parents immediately reacted. We went to the hospital. I knew people around me would feel shocked by clothes walking on their own. But, I had to deal with it. As soon as we arrived at the hospital, it was easy as pie to get in without getting caught; at least for me it was! I rushed to a doctor as fast as I could.

            “Ma’am, could you please find out what’s wrong with me?” I pleaded.

            “Who was that?”

            “It’s me, I’m right here!” I yelled angrily.

            I realized that the only way to get people’s attention was to touch them so that they’d know what the case was. I touched her hand and she immediately fainted. Other doctors took notice of what happened and performed medical procedures to bring life back to her quickly since the staff was short-handed. When she woke up, she told everyone that someone or something touched her, but she could not exactly define what it was. Her boss, which was I believe, Mr. Vandal, thought she had lost her mind and was suffering from hallucinations. Now, I was furious. I started pleading for help, calling everyone, but everyone was afraid. Out of the blue, a cheerful and jubilant nurse came to the rescue! Her name was Mrs. Candy. She followed my voice and tried to figure out where I was. This was a game of Marco-Polo to me! I quickly realized that Mrs. Candy had the most admirable and loving heart I ever seen. Without knowing what the future would bring, she touched my hand. Coordinating to my fingers, she grasped my hand and took me to the head-doctor.