Studies Show Extroverts are Happier

Please read the whole post before you start throwing rotten tomatoes at me. I can explain, I promise.

Okay, so I don't know how many of you read the Wall Street Journal (yeah, great bedtime reading, huh?) but I came across an article published by it not too long ago, and this was the title:

How an Introvert Can Be Happier: Act Like an Extrovert.

This will be interesting.

Well, I did end up reading the article, and found some interesting stuff. Here's an excerpt.

"If you're introverted and act extroverted, you will be happier. It doesn't matter who you are, it's all about what you do." - William Fleeson

Anyway, where do I begin here?

Let's take this apart for a second. So William Fleeson's advice to introverts here is to act like extroverts, and it will make us happier, right?

Wait a minute. Isn't this is operating on the assumption that introverts are less happier than extroverts?

Well, according to the article, "studies" show that extroverts are happier than introverts. Really, that's what it says.

That's very interesting. I wish that everyone could just throw out a sentence that contains the words "studies show that", and have people take them seriously.

For example, studies show that 0.65% of people who eat oranges grow plants in their spinal cords that take over their nervous systems and cause them to turn into giant, brain-eating zombies. Seriously, guys. I read it on the internet, so that means it must be true.

Okay, I'm being mean here. Yes, studies actually do show that extroverts describe themselves as happier later on in their lives. Does this mean I've been wrong all along? Are introverts actually just depressed misanthropes?

As it turns out, yes these studies were done, and yes, they came to that conclusion, but many people are now saying that they're flawed. For one thing, the accepted version of "happiness" in these studies and in general definitely leans toward being extroverted. There is a certain bias that assumes that one must be actively social to be happy. Most of the criteria in this study were based largely on social behaviors and how people behave in social settings, which is an area where extroverts may thrive more.

Going out every night may be great for some people, and an absolute nightmare for others.

Studies also show that introverts favor a neutral emotional state over emotional highs and lows. Basically introverts' emotions are not as extreme. Extroverts have a greater reward system and are more open to expressing how they feel, including happiness, than introverts are. As it turns out, both extroverts and introverts prefer it that way. That doesn't mean that introverts are less happy. Rather, they feel and express it in different ways.

From personal experience, I can say this is true in my case. I'm introverted, and I've been very happy before, but it usually isn't that obvious to the people around me. In fact, even on my best days, people have come up to me and asked me if I'm sad because I was deep in thought about something.

Happiness looks different for everybody.

And what exactly is meant by "acting extroverted"? Does that mean being more bold, assertive, talkative, and energetic?

But the adjectives "Bold, assertive, talkative, and energetic" don't necessarily only apply to extroverts. Introverts can be bold, assertive, energetic and even talkative when they want or need to. Just like the words "introspective, quiet, thoughtful, and cautious" are not exclusive to introverted people.