Part Four

It's been a month, and it's nearly Halloween. In that month James and I went back to acquaintances. We played nice in Entrepreneurship, we helped each other in band class- since we were given the same marimba- and we didn't speak about the fight. I became zombie like, not really happy, but not really sad. Neutral. I felt nothing.

“You guys want to come over tonight for a movie? My parents are out of town and left me some money for food, which means a ton of food.” April says happily. The boys all agree loudly, happy about the food. Layla asks about what movies we'll be watching, I just kind of walk along, nodding my head in silent agreement. James stays quiet too, not his usual outgoing self.

We agree to meet at April's at six, perfect time for pizza and a ton of movies. I knew I was acting stupid, I knew I should just get over him, but I couldn't. And we were literally so close to being friends again, maybe even something more, but I let my anger get the best of me. I hated it. But I just wanted to know why James would throw our relationship away to be friends with some girl. I felt like I’d never get that answer.

...Monday...

We had a sub in Entrepreneurship, which meant nothing would get done in class. Thankfully the teacher had learned that by now, giving the substitute a movie to put on. I just wanted to read my book, but I left that at home, so the movie would have to entertain me I guess. However within ten minutes of the class starting, a piece of paper landed on my desk.

Are we still taking the little ones trick or treating on Saturday?

I just stare at the paper, why was this such a big event? He was just asking me a question. Maybe because he hadn't spoken to me at all since the fight.

Of course, wouldn't want to disappoint the kids. Are you still being Peter?

Heck yeah, my mom made some pretty great costumes this year. You still gunna be tiger lily?

As long as your mom made the outfit for me, then yes. Did she make Kennan's captain hook costume?

Out of the corner of my eye I see James nod along as we wrote, smiling. I didn't know what he was thinking about, but I wished it was me.

Si! I’m actually really excited. She just finished Sophia's Wendy costume last night. The Mystery Gang is coming trick or treating with us right?

Now I nod, James smiles once more.

Yeah, pretty sure they're going as the lost boys, well and a few Indians right?

Yeah, our costumes are going to rock the socks off of everyone at the contest!

I couldn't help but laugh quietly. This is what I missed most of all. The two of us, just goofing around and making one another laugh. I look up and catch James' eyes. My smiles drops, and a lump rises to my throat. I was suddenly nervous, nervous to be acting like this around him. But then James smiles at me, making my heart melt. I smile in return and we turn back to the movie. The class was halfway over, and we really didn't have a clue what was going on in the movie, but it was nice. It felt as if we were back to the way we used to be. Not enemies, not dating, just somewhere in between.

...Saturday...

“You guys ready to get some candy!” Layla bounces into the room wearing her Indian costume. Both her and April were going as Indians, while Lucas, Sam, and Keith were the lost boys.

“You realize we don't go trick or treating until later right?” April says, texting away on her phone. I couldn't tell if it was Sam, the one she swore she doesn't like anymore, or Matt, the new boy shes talking to.