~

"By the time I was your age, I’d give anything to fall in love truly, was all I could think."

"Son," I clapped him on the back. "Sit down."

"What’s going on?" He asked me, sitting down in the chair across from me.

"Just before you go off to college, I want to tell you a story." I felt my soft hair.

About what?” He looked concerned.

"I want to tell you about how I met your mother, because soon enough you are going to find someone just like her."

"She said, ‘Boy, can I tell you a wonderful thing? I can’t help but notice you staring at me. I know I shouldn’t say this, but I really believe, I can tell by your eyes that you’re in love with me.’"

"Stop staring at the girl," My friend said. "You’re going to creep her out"

I took these things into consideration, but still kept casting her the same looks across the club that she was giving me.

And eventually, she came over to me.

"Why do you keep staring at me?" She asked.

"Because you’re beautiful."

"Most of the time we’d have too much to drink and we’d laugh at the stars and we’d share everything."

"Before my dad died," She said. "He told me that if you lived a good life with a good soul, you would become a star up in the sky the moment that you died."

"There’s no doubt in my mind that you will be up the some day," I replied. "Just not anytime soon."

"Never," She said. "We shouldn’t have drank all of that whiskey."

And then she started laughing, which was the most beautiful sound in the world.

"I said, ‘Girl, can I tell you a wonderful thing? I made you a present with paper and string, open with care now, I’m asking you, please. You know that I love you, will you marry me?’"

She looked at me with tears in her eyes, “Yes. I want to be yours forever.”

"Now, son, I’m only telling you this because life can do terrible things."

"I’m sorry that this had to happen," I said to my son.

"It wasn’t your fault," He replied, tears slipping down his face. "We both loved her."

"She said, ‘Boy, can I tell you a terrible thing? It seems that I’m sick and I’ve only got weeks. please, don’t be sad now, I really believe, you were the greatest thing that ever happened to me.’"

"How was your appointment?" I asked, but instead of just replying, she sat me down.

"They found cancer, and I don’t have much longer to live. They found it in my lungs." She started to cry, and I did too.

"I love you," I kissed her.

"You are the only thing I’ve ever appreciated in my life." She sobbed.

"You’re gonna be a star, and I’ll talk to you every night. It doesn’t matter if you aren’t beside me, you’ll be in the sky."

"I will always listen. I will never leave you."

"Now don’t fall in love, there’s just too much to lose."

"I want to protect you, but I know I can’t shelter you forever because you’re growing up. Don’t fall in love unless you know it’s going to turn out okay in the end." I told him.

And now he was crying too. “Thank you, dad. I miss mom.”

"So do I."