Part 2

Part 2

Enough was enough. Sarra pushed up from the couch and walked towards the kitchen. Either her own imagination had completely run wild or someone was messing with her. Either way, she didn’t like it. She refused to believe some ghost was talking to her. Ridiculously impossible. She seriously considered calling the police, but what was she going to say? A Ouija board talked to her? They’d laugh. No, she’d just get through the rest of the night. The kitchen sink was running again when she turned on the lights. She would have to tell the Muncey’s to have it checked. It must not have turned off completely when she heated up the baby’s bottle. After making sure it was off, Sarra opened the fridge and grabbed a can of Mt. Dew. She needed some good old sugar and her soda of choice would do it.

Sarra loaded up a plate with pizza from the one she’d ordered earlier and went back into the living room. She eyeballed the Ouija board with open disgust. To think she’d let herself get caught up in that nonsense. Ghosts weren’t real. Just something people made up for whatever reason. She did not believe in the supernatural at all. It was a foolish superstition. She knew the stories just as well as anyone. The board was supposedly a conduit that allowed people to speak and hear the dead. They also said ghosts weren’t the only thing that spoke through the board. You could get yourself latched on to a demon if you listened to some of the crazies. And demons were bad juju as her grandfather had always said.

Maybe growing up with two of the most superstitious people on the planet had given Sarra her views on the subject. After having it crammed down her throat all her life with no proof, it just seemed like a bunch of nonsense to her and she put not stock in it. Her grandparents had faith in a higher power and Sarra herself did not. Her parents had died when she was six in a car accident. If there truly was a higher power, then why let such good innocent people die? No, Sarra believed in only what she could feel and touch, hear and smell. Ouija boards were just toys, games children played. Nothing more, nothing less.

Grabbing the remote, she flicked through the channels and ended up on the SpongeBob’s Halloween Special. It was funny and she hoped it would help to settle her nerves down a bit. She was a little freaked out, but not enough to worry overly much about her own imagination running wild. Seriously who didn’t love the Sponge that is Bob?

Three Halloween episodes later, she reached for her Mt. Dew and found an empty can. Growling, she pushed up off the couch and went back to the kitchen. The water was running again. What in the world was wrong with that faucet? She’d tightened it herself and made sure it wasn’t running. Shaking her head, she turned it off for the third time and then went to get another cold can of pop. She didn’t normally drink this much sugar, but tonight it felt warranted. She still thought someone was messing with her, so she wanted to be alert.

She made a quick u turn up the stairs and checked on the kids. Both were sound asleep. When she closed the door to the baby’s room, she noticed the smell again. It was so foul, even the faint odor caused her to want to scrunch up her nose in distaste. This time it wasn’t in the baby’s room. It was in the hallway itself. Sarra walked from one end to the other, opening each door to see if she could find a reason for the stench, but she found nothing. Oh, God, it was so foul. What was it? She closed the linen closet and turned, intending to go back to the baby’s room, but let out a scream instead.

Standing at the end of the hallway, was the same shadow thing she’d thought she’d seen earlier in the baby room. Only this time it was talker, darker. It wore what she would call rags hanging from its thin frame. The head was misshapen and sat on its body at an odd angle. Strings of black hair fell around the shoulders. It was the eyes though, that caught Sarra’s attention. They were burning black holes of nothingness and they were staring at her, through her. She could fee those eyes cut through into the very heart of her, into her soul.