Chapter Thirty-One

Alex, William, and I plan on having dinner together. Alex lobbies for takeout, so I don't have to cook for my birthday. I just want to cook something nice for the three of us. Thankfully, William steps in, telling him to chill. 

"Cat loves to cook. You telling her not to is not a way to do something nice for her on her birthday."

So Alex agrees. I'm glad because I really don't do well with all the fuss. I guess I have just gotten used to not having it. After dinner, Alex volunteers to take care of the dishes while William and I disappear into the bedroom to get me ready for tonight.

"So how's it going?" William inquires, as I show him various tops, skirts, and dresses that he either nods yes or no to. I put back a blouse William doesn't like, and without turning from the closet, I reply simply, "I told Alex I love him today."

"You did?!" William cries, with excitement in his voice. "Oh, Cat! I'm so happy for you!" As I turn around, William is right behind me. He reaches out, giving me a big hug.

I hug him back. "You don't think it's too soon?" I ask.

"Not if it's what you really feel," William reassures me.

"I do but I feel so... scared at the same time."

William's expression turns super serious, which looks really out of place on William's face. "That's when you know it's real. You found something bigger than yourself. You found love. However, finding love also means living with the fear of losing it. That's what makes it scary, but trust me, Cat, it's also what makes it worth it."

I'm immediately reminded of all that he's lost. William lost Aiden so suddenly and without warning. It's not fair. "Do you ever think you may find love again?"

William immediately shakes his head no, but then shrugs. "Who am I to say? No one knows what life holds in store for us. Maybe?"

I hug him again. "I hope you do. You deserve it and so much more."

"Thanks, Cat! Ooo!" He reaches behind me and pulls out exactly what he wants, stating emphatically, "This one, most definitely."

"I don't know. Don't you think it's a bit much?" I debate, looking at the dress that still had the tags on it.

I had loved it in the store, but I have never had the occasion to wear it. It is a black dress with off the shoulder short sleeves, a heart-shaped bodice, and a flaring mini hem skirt. It is flirty, playful and when I first put it on I felt sexy as hell, but now I can't help thinking it's too much for my outing tonight.

"Nope. It's perfect," William declares. "It's your 21st birthday. Go, celebrate and enjoy tonight, Cat. You can be all sorts of responsible tomorrow and for the rest of your life, but tonight just have a little fun," he tells me, shoving the dress in my arms and pushing me towards the bathroom.

"Once you're dressed, we'll work on the rest of you. Let's make you shine!"

Alex lets out a slow whistle when I finally step out of the bedroom.

Suddenly shy under his gaze, I ask, "It's over the top, isn't it?" I feel awkward, especially in my 4.25" black suede strapped stilettos.

"She's divine, isn't she?" William proclaims, joining Alex across the room.

"Like a living goddess," Alex agrees, but I sense a bit of hesitation. "So, what are you and the girls going to do tonight?" Alex asks.

Alex is an open book when it comes to his feelings, so I know he's worried.

"We aren't going anywhere special and there's going to be an entire group of us. So, don't worry, I'll be fine."

Alex comes up to me and caresses my bare arms. "I just can't help but wish it was me you were spending your time with tonight."