Why?

Chapter 1

April 5th, 2023

Midmorning

"Hey, X! Wait up," Destiny yelled from down the block. Destiny was only twelve at the time, but she knew X better than anyone. She had been his first friend in this new town. He had met her on the playground the first day of school. She was the first person to talk to him besides the teachers all day. "X! Come on, wait up!"

"I'm not in the mood Destiny," he yelled back impatiently. He had every right to be upset. It honestly wasn't her fault, but he was just hurt. He had finally found someone he loved, but she didn't feel the same about him.

That girl, the one he felt should be his, was Destiny. The short, cute girl who he first made friends with. The girl who sang him to sleep multiple times when he would cry over his moms death. The girl that held his hand at her funeral. The girl that taught him that no matter where you go, there is someone that can help you through the tough times.

She wasn't just his best friend, she was his world. Ever since she had become his friend she had been there. She knew everything about him. Everything. She understood him, just like his mom had. He didn't know what had drawn him to her, but he knew she was special.

Why was his world falling apart? Why wouldn't she say yes to him? He was older by two years, but he knew her well. He knew what she needed to be happy. He knew how to make her smile and laugh. He just knew. But why couldn't she see that he was the one? He just couldn't understand it.

"X! Wait," she begged, "please! Let me explain!" But he hadn't heard her. He was lost in his own thoughts. He couldn't stand it anymore, he just couldn't. He fell to his knees and the tears began to flow.

"Why," he whispered to himself. "Why can't she see what i can?" For the whole time he'd known Destiny, he had grown with her. Not only that but he had watched her change into who she was becoming. No one else had even bothered to befriend him because he was different. Already at the age of twelve she was more mature than most adults. Her parents had abandoned her as a child, so up until the age of six, she had been in and out of foster homes. She had, in essence, raised herself. She knew how to handle people and could read most like a book.

"X," she said slowly as she approached him. "X.. I'm sorry... I just, it's... it's my adoptive parents... they..." She broke down in tears. She wanted to say yes; she really did, but her parents were quite strict. They had known for quite some time about her feelings for X. She knew that they would be perfect for eachother, but her parents couldn't look past the tattoos, piercings, and age difference.

"Just stop," he spoke, his voice quivering. "I... I don't want to hear your excuses Destiny..." He knew she was telling the truth, but he couldn't accept it. He didn't want it to be true. She had to be his, she had to be. Why did this have to happen?

"X... please," she began slowly, "I never meant for this to happen. Maybe when we are older it can happen... just maybe..." She really meant it. She wanted to be his at some time or another.

But, it didn't matter. He didn't want to hear it. He was broken. Nothing mattered anymore. He rose, turned to her, and finally he said, "I just have to do this one time." As he finished saying that, he leaned forward and kissed her slowly. Then turning away from her he said once more, "just had to one time..." As he finished he ran off down the street not caring about the cars or other people coming.

He tuned everything out and ran. The only thought going through his mind was that he was worthless. No one wants me he thought to himself over and over. "X! Come back," Destiny yelled to him, but he didn't hear her as he got lost in his thoughts. Some of which, were really quite bad. "Please come back," she whispered to herself.