Prologue

Prologue

When Lorelai Gilmore was 16, she was in love with Christopher Hayden. 3 weeks before her cotillion, she found out that she was pregnant. They were married immediately. They moved into her parents' house while they finished school. Christopher went to Princeton and followed in his father's footsteps and Lorelai spent time with her mother learning the life of society. The distance was a strain on their marriage, but they made it work.

After college, Christopher returned to Hartford, where he bought a house for himself, Lorelai and Rory. They hired a cook, 2 maids, and a nanny. When it was time for Rory to start school, she was accepted to Chilton and she immediately became best friends with Stephanie Vanderbilt.

When Rory was fifteen, she found her first boyfriend. Tristin Dugrey. They spent every free moment they had with each other. Shortly after Rory turned 16, she remembered that she had a cotillion coming up. She asked Tristin if he would go with her and he agreed. It was now 3 days before Cotillion and her mom was in panic mode.

Rory walked into their house that day after school and found her mom in the dining room trying to make the final decisions for the event.

RORY POV

"Hey, mom," I said as I sat down at the table. Esmeralda brought me a cup of coffee and sat it down in front of me.

"Hi, hun. How was school?" She asked.

"Steph broke up with Andrew." Mom lived for the gossip at Chilton.

"What happened?"

"She found him making out with Paris during study hall." My phone beeped telling me that I had a new text. I open it. It's from Steph.

Steph: Guess who's at the coffee bean?

Rory: Orlando Bloom?

Steph: Tristin's here with Scarlett?

"What?!" I yelled.

"What's wrong?" Mom asked.

"Mom I gotta change and then I gotta meet Steph," I tell her.

"Everything ok?" She asks.

"No," I say as I run upstairs to my room to change. I throw on a pair of jeans and a shirt. Put my black boots on and grab my jacket. I grab my car keys and leave. I call Steph as I pull out of the driveway.

"Hey." She said when she answered.

"Still at the bean?" I asked.

"Yeah. They're in a booth in the back. You on the way?"

"Pulling in now," I say hanging up. I grab Tristin's jacket that he left in my car. I walk in and in the back corner in a booth, Tristin and Scarlett are cuddling. I walk past Steph, straight to them and throw Tristin's jacket at him.

He looks at me. "What the hell Rory?" he says.

"We're done! I've had enough. Lose my number, don't come to my house and don't come to cotillion." I said. Then I looked at Scarlett. "He's all yours." And I walk back towards Steph. She hands me a cup of coffee. "Thanks. I need retail therapy."

We leave the coffee bean and head over to the mall. "Who's having a party tonight?" Steph asked.

"Madeline. Her parents are out of town. Wanna go together?" I say.

"Definitely."

Steph and I shop for a while and then we head back to my house to get ready for the party. When I pull into my driveway, I see my dad's car. "This isn't gonna be pretty," I say. When we walk in, Esmeralda takes my bags. "Can you put these upstairs for me?" She nods.