(12) 𝘢 𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘭𝘦 𝘤𝘳𝘶𝘴𝘩

Brian

"Mama, I'm gonna be your slave,"

"All day long."

"Mama, I'm gonna try behave."

"All day long"

I strummed the strings with my fingers, tapping my foot in time to Roger's beats and John's rhythm, Fred keeping us going with the vocals. But I, for some reason, couldn't keep up. The minimal beat and sonics required too much of my attention and too much of it was applied somewhere else.

I strained my lips into a thin line, shaking my head as I strummed the completely wrong chord, halting Roger.

"That was the wrong fuckin' chord!" He yelled, taking the cigarette out of his mouth and tapping out on the ash tray on the floor.

"I know." I sighed, shaking my head. I ran my hand over my head, moving the hair from my forehead.

"Give him a break, darling, he's clearly distressed, the poor thing." Freddie set down his microphone on my amp and strutted over to me. "Come on, dear, don't be quiet."

I looked at him and sighed heavily, shifting my eyes around. What was I supposed to say? I didn't even know what was wrong myself.

"Shall we take 5?" John asked, setting his bass down.

Freddie nodded towards him and sat down next to me. "What's the matter?" Both Roger and John had averted their gaze onto me.

"I don't know..." I let out, leaning my head back on the sofa. "I'm conflicted about something right now."

"If something's eating away at you, you should tell us about it." Mary said as she brought through a tray of teas from the kitchen. "Especially the boys, they are your best friends."

I knew she was right; I should be able to tell them anything, no matter how big or little it was. And the truth was, it was eating away at me like crazy.

"I bet it's something to do with Maria." Roger remarked, twirling a drumstick in his hand. "Didn't she leave without telling you on Saturday?"

"Yes, thank you Roger." I glared at him. "Do you want to talk about you taking advantage of Emma or shall we continue talking about the fact I haven't bothered to talk to her since?"

"What's the big deal?" Roger exclaimed, standing up from the drumkit and trying his best to weave in and out of what the front room was at that point. "It's not like the two of you shagged or anything. Wait..." He smirked.

"No! We didn't do anything, don't be so fucking ridiculous." I shook my head, folding my arms and looking away. Fun fact... I remembered everything from that night.

"I wouldn't say that's exactly true, darling." Freddie chuckled, leaning back against where Mary was sat on the arm of the sofa.

I scrunched my eyebrows up, licking my drying lips. "What are you talking about, Fred?"

"Darling... You should know by now that I don't pass out from drinking." He smirked, earning a laugh from John in the corner.

"You mean..." I stuttered a bit before covering my face with my hands. "Oh my God..."

"That's right, dear, I saw you eat her face off."

"Brian, you slag!" Roger teased, lighting another cigarette.

"You can hardly say anything, blondie." John retorted, shoving him out the way and grabbing a cup of tea. "We know you're shagging Emma."

"Yes." Roger replied, smirking smugly. "But at least we got straight to it and didn't fuck around."

"Didn't she leave you a little good morning present?"

"Shut up, Deacy, it's normal for girls to have accidents like that! Besides, I called her and told her it was okay."

"Just stop, okay?" I stood up, picking my guitar up with me, distracting myself by tuning it.

"Roger, you're such a tit." Freddie scolded, shaking his head. "It's not Brian's fault that he has a little crush on Maria."

"I don't..." I started but halted myself. I closed my eyes and sighed. "It doesn't matter how I feel, she probably hates me." I continued tuning.

"I doubt that she hates you." John reassured. "Why would you think that she hates you?"

"Hello, I kissed her when I was drunk, and she hasn't called me since then."

"But you also haven't called her, have you?"

Why does Deacy have to be so psychologically reversal?

"No." I mumbled like child afraid of being caught doing something they shouldn't be. "And I'm not going to."

"What?!" Freddie shouted, widening his eyes and shooting up from his seat. "Brian, darling, you are being so fucking stupid."

"I'm not. If she wants to talk to me as much as I want to talk to her, she should ring me."

Now, I was being stubborn. I was a stubborn person. And I knew I was being stubborn, but it was a coping mechanism I'd used since my teen years.

"But Brian—"

"Can you all just stop telling me what to do?!" I snapped, putting down the Red Special and storming off into the hallway and upstairs, heading directly to my bedroom. I needed time to be on my own.

It had been four days since that Saturday, and I was starting to get paranoid. I couldn't help my actions; Maria just seemed so irresistible in the moment, even though I was drunk. And especially after she showed me the scars on her arm, it only made me want to look after her. She was such a purified soul for our time, and I liked her a lot. Freddie was right when he said I had a little crush on her. Who wouldn't?

Knock, knock, knock.

I looked at the door, awaiting some type of voice at the other side of the door.

"It's me, darling."

"You can come in, Fred." I sat on the edge of my bed, shaking my head at the stress I was putting myself under. Freddie came and joined me, sitting himself beside me.

There was a silence for a few minutes. It was like Freddie was able to read my mind fully just by sitting near me in pure silence. It always nerved me because I never knew what he was thinking or what he was going to say.

"You're doing this to yourself again, dear." Freddie said softly, avoiding eye contact with me.

"I know..." I mumbled, tapping my foot rapidly. "Why is it that I become infatuated with the girls that use me and push away the girls I genuinely like?"

"Ah!" Freddie exclaimed. "So you do like her! Listen, dear, all you have to do is give her a call or even talk to her in person, and you'll soon be back in her good books. Assuming you were out of them in the first place."

"That's the thing, I don't even know if I have upset her because of... what I did."

"Darling, if I know anything, which I do, she'd have gone home giggling like a child with a bucket of candy. You two are meant to be together one way or another." When he didn't get a reaction from me, he leaned into me and sighed heavily. He placed a hand on my shoulder. "You're a decent guy, Brian. You don't use girls. And girls like Maria appreciate that. I know how difficult it is, especially after you tried it with half of the science department and got fucked over by every single one of them. But I have a really good feeling about Maria. A really good feeling."

He then cleared his throat and shot up, clapping his hands together. "So, just give her a buzz and I'm sure everything's just a big misunderstanding, darling. We expect you back downstairs in five." He winked at me and strutted out of my bedroom.

Why do girls have to be so complicated?