Chapter Thirty-two

The dance club is fun, although I do little dancing. Not that I don't like to dance, but the place is so packed it is difficult to get space out on the floor. I spend most of my time sitting at the bar, drinking a caffeine-free soda.

"Designated driver?" I hear someone ask.

I look up and see some guy smiling down at me. He looks to be around my age, with nice brown eyes and dark hair. I raise my eyebrows. "Birthday girl, actually. I just don't drink."

"Do you dance?" he asks.

"Sometimes," I say, but I have no desire to dance with him. It's not that he isn't good looking, but I love Alex. I'm a one-man woman. What am I doing here, again?

"Any possibility of now being one of those times?" he inquires.

"Not really," I say, honestly.

"Why is that, Cat? You're not with Liam anymore."

I frown. "Do I know you?"

"No, but I know you. I've seen you at every game. Liam never deserved someone as devoted as you were to him."

"You know you're coming off stalkerish, right?" I ask, keeping an eye on the girls from my group, but not feeling too scared as the bar is crowded and the bartender is always walking back and forth, checking on people.

He laughs. "Doug Walters. I'm a teammate of Liam's. I've known you for four years now, Cat. Liam talked about you incessantly and, of course, you came to every game, rally, and fundraiser. I'd have to be blind not to see how devoted you were to him. That's why I never introduced myself, but it drove me a little nuts seeing him at the frat parties..."

I hold up my hand to stop him from talking. "Spare me the deets okay, Dougie. It is my birthday after all."

He laughs again. "I'm just saying it gave me hope that perhaps one day you'd be free, and I'd get a chance to say, 'Wanna dance?'"

He holds out a hand to me. Although his offer is rather sweet, I still shake my head no.

Doug gives me a rather disappointed look, asking, "Liam? Or did I wait too long and someone else has stolen your heart?"

"Not Liam, and the other part is for only me to know."

"You're tough, Cat Fischer, but I like tough."

"Is that so? Then have I got the girl for you, but I seriously doubt you'll be able to keep up with her." I look over and wave to catch Olivia's eye.

She comes over immediately, inquiring, "Who's this?"

"Just someone who wants to dance with the sexiest woman in the club."

"Is that so?" Olivia asks. "She turned you down flat, didn't she?" Olivia asks Doug.

"Who said she was talking about herself?" Doug answers.

"Oh, you're smooth." Olivia laughs.

"Smooth enough to get a dance?" I encourage, winking at Doug.

Olivia gets close to my ear so he can't hear her next words. "I thought I was supposed to be YOUR wing woman?"

I giggle. "You're welcome," I tell her, and Olivia takes Doug by the hand and leads him out to the dance floor. I enjoy watching them dance, glad to see they are obviously enjoying one another by the smiles and laughs they exchange, but it makes me miss Alex all the more.

I so don't belong here.

Clubs, dances, Ladies Nites, I've outgrown it all in these last few months. I just want to take care of my baby and Alex. I don't know what the future holds, but I hope more and more that Alex will be a part of it.