Evolution

Y/N's POV

Once I'm level with his ankles and my nostrils filled with the smell of old leather from his shoes, I can hear his panicked breathing slow to deep sighs of relief. To ease him further I tilt my head to side and flutter my eyes at his, which receives me a smile. Yet he still looks distressed. He also still has a bird in his hands which is trying to break free from his clasp, encasing the poor thing in his hands, only with its' little head poking out. It's chirping, nearly screeching, as it tries to break free.

As I see no need to stay in this rather useless form, I turn into my human form, closing my eyes to prevent the motion sickness. Once I feel myself fully transformed, I lock eye contact with him. He's definitely much calmer than he was before – he looked like he was on the brink of a panic attack.

Us power-holders need to use our powers at least every twelve hours, otherwise we lose control. If the logistics don't work out that we can't practice on our own at home, it does become necessary that our powers need to be used at school or work, hidden away somehwhere so that we don't reveal ourselves. Caretaker cupboards are therefore very useful for this.

If any power-holder of any age is unable to use their powers within that twelve hour period, we lose control. Whether it's in public or in private, the side effects are visible to anyone. It's the main reason for people getting caught. Holes blown through houses, crazy animals wilding loose in parks, it's unavoidable for them to go unnoticed.

'Are you okay?' I whisper, cautious that there may be people walking past this cupboard and able to hear us. He nods in response, giving a small but still distressed smile back.

'I should probably get rid of this bird,' he jokes and we both giggle together.
'I'll check if anyone's going past,' I say as I crank the door open slightly, peering into a seemingly empty corridor. I turn round and give a reassuring nod. I open the door wider and we both skid across to the nearest window. I reach onto my toes to the window handle and push it open, letting the boy release his hands and the bird flew free.

The atmosphere was very strange. We both knew that each other were power-holders. In other words, information that if we spread to the wrong people we could end up being killed. The events of the past few minutes had happened so fast. His eyes were still slightly puffy and the buzz of having just morphed were still lingering through me.

'Your name's Y/N, right?'
'Yeah. Sorry, I don't know yours.'
'Jin.'

I bit my lip and stared out of the window, overlooking the playground. There were hundreds of kids out there, all huddled together in little packs. It looks like a vast ocean of people looking across from here. A vast ocean of people that this secret we share could leak out to. All it would take would be a hole in the water pipe before it burst.

'Would you mind coming with me? There's some people I think you should meet,' Jin says, turning towards me with a sweet and soft smile. I nod in reponse.

He asks me to follow him and he leads us both to the stairway, taking us up flight after flight to the point where the stairs stop, meaning that we're now at the top of this school. I thought no one was allowed to come up here, aiding to my intrigue of why he's taking me here and who I'm about to meet.

The top floor of school was darker – it looked like the lights hadn't been turned on in years. However, halfway down the corridor I saw a light gold glow coming from one of the doors. I assumed that was where Jin was taking me. Despite all the questions whirring around my mind like clockwork and causing a pit to fall to my stomach, I remained silent.

With my judgements being correct, we stopped outside the lit room from which I could hear some laughter and people talking but it was all muffled through the door so I couldn't make any specific words or names out. I tried to look around him to see who was in there, but he was blocking the window so my efforts were to no avail. Damn, his shoulders are wide.