Chapter Four - The Beginning of Something Great

"Is that her?" I can hear the girl's voice from afar, not even having the decency to whisper behind my back like everybody else did today.

"Yeah, that's her," the other girl says before she giggles.

"No wonder she got dumped." The dark-haired girl looks at me with demeaning eyes, her lips curl slightly as if she's trying to hold back her laughter.

I let out a sigh. Dropping my head low to hide my face from the crowd, I clutch on the paper folders I'm holding and pace up my steps. All day long, people have been gossiping about me, laughing at me and even calling me names. Some called me stupid, some called me matchstick, and some even called me hoe.

How did this happen?

Just yesterday, I was a normal girl who had a group of good friends and a seemingly perfect boyfriend. But now? I'm the joke around the campus.

And the worst part is, it's not even my fault.

I'm not used to being the center of attention. Sure, I was a valedictorian back in my high school, but other than that? I'm not exactly a popular girl. I was known as the smart girl and that was it. But today, it's like my whole world has turned upside down.

Ugh. I can't wait to start my lesson with Sophia.

Although, I can't help but wonder, can I actually be a bad girl? To be honest, I've been good my whole life and being bad seems like a really tough job to do.

No, stop being so pessimistic, Mackenzie! I take a long deep breath. I can do this. I have to do this. I must do this.

I speed up my steps even more, heading towards the parking lot, where Sophia is waiting for me. Yesterday, she suggested I should get – and I quote – a major makeover. That's why, we agreed to head to the mall after our respective classes are finished.

"Mac!" a familiar voice calls out from behind me, causing me to stop and turn around.

I can't help but smile when I see Dylan is waving his left hand while running towards me. His right hand is holding his backpack which he wears on one shoulder. He's wearing his favorite red checkered shirt and a white t-shirt underneath. It's nice to see him sporting his usual neat, red hair instead of that creepy green wig he wore yesterday.

"Hey!" He stops right in front of me. A ray of sun shines down his face, making the faint freckles around his cheeks come to light. Dylan used to have lots of freckles on his face, but they gradually disappear as he grew up. Now, they can only be seen under the sunlight.

"Why haven't you returned any of my calls?" he asks.

Why? Because my phone kept ringing all night long with tons of mean comments mentioning me on Instagram and Twitter! I had to turn off my phone so I could sleep and by the time I turned it on again, I didn't bother to check any messages.

"Never mind that." He shakes his head before I can answer. "I'd like you to know, your grudge has been avenged." His lips curve up into a proud smirk.

I chuckle. "Avenged?"

"You're welcome!" His smile grows even bigger as he straightens himself. "Now everyone in this campus will know not to mess with you"—he points a finger at me before clutching it into a fist—"or else."

I let out a long sigh, unsure if that's a good thing. "More like the whole world," I mutter as I shrug.

"What do you mean?"

"Didn't you check your Instagram? Or Twitter? Or, I don't know, Youtube?"

That's when I can sense people's stares at me are getting more and more intense. I can tell they're waiting for another headline for the day. Unable to stand the unwanted attention anymore, I decide to continue walking towards my car.