Chapter 2

Jessica

I can hear voices fade in and out around me... machine's beeping...Dr's talking in low voices. They talk like I cant hear them but the news isn't good. Kyle comes to sit with me daily. His voice fades in and out but I can't make out what he's saying. He sounds so sad... sounds as if he thinks I'll never wake up. I don't know how much time is passing but it feels like minutes... maybe hours. I'm kept company by the steady sound of beeping and humming coming from somewhere in the room. My mind keeps taking me back to the painful memories of 2 summers ago.

"Jessica, I'm sorry." Kyle trys to explain as his friends walk away, laughing. But the words still stung. I had heard him tell his friends that I was nothing to him... a summer fling because he was bored.

"So I was just a joke to you Kyle. After everything... is that really how you feel?" I plead, a single tear running down my cheek. He reaches for me.

"I... I didn't want you to find out this way. I was going to tell you Jess." He stammers over his words, averting his eyes. "I never loved you..." he whispers, as I can feel my heart break. I choke back a sob as he stuffs his hands into his pockets.

"I don't believe you. I know what we had was special... even if you can't see it right now. I love you Kyle, I always will. But I'm done. I'm done waiting around for you to decide what it is you want." I kiss him softly on the cheek. "I hope you find what your looking for." I whisper, as I turn and walk away. Part of me wants to look back... wants to run to him and hold him again. But I cant. He's made his decision and I'm not a part of it.

Kyle

I visit her everyday... and everyday I'm told the same thing. She's had major trauma and she will never wake up.. Even if she does her quality of life won't be the same. But I can't believe that. I have to believe she is going to recover so I can make up for the last 3 years.

It's been 6 months and though her bruises have healed and the stitches have come out... Jessica remains the same. She hasn't moved a muscle in 6 long months. I visit her everyday after work and stay until after visiting hours are over. The Dr's have told me over and over that visiting is pointless. 'She can't hear you.' They tell me. But I refuse to give up.

"Hey Gloria how's our girl today?" I ask the red headed nurse. She smiles at me and hands me a damp cloth.

"About the same as yesterday... but you're just in time to help me give her a good bath. We want her looking nice and clean when she wakes up." I give Gloria an appreciative smile. She's the only one that been encouraging me to keep visiting.

"You know, I know the doctors say she can't hear us. But I think she's in here somewhere listening. Fighting to wake up. With such a handsome man waiting for me I'd sure be fighting." Gloria laughs. I busy myself sponging Jessica's arms and face with the wet sponge. She's changed a lot in the last 3 years... I Know David made her happy and it broke my heart when I heard about them getting married. I knew she deserved it though especially after everything I put her through.

"I really hope so..." I whisper... leaning down to give her quick peck on the head. Gloria clears her throat and I lean back... Jessica's open eyes meeting mine for the first time in 6 months. At first neither of us says a word as Gloria runs out to get the doctor. After what feels like an enternity in silence the doctors rush into the room and start running test and taking the tubes out that have been helping her breath. All the time Jessica's eyes never leaving mine. Like a coward I back out of the room... I didn't want her to see me cry... I never thought I'd see her eyes again... never thought I'd get this moment to explain how sorry I am.. and I completely failed... God I'm such an idiot.