Chapters

I've always thought of life as a book – every chapter is a new year, every page a new day, and every word a new experience. The punctuation is what either makes or breaks the sentence; the obstacle or the connector. Unfortunately, life is a book you can only read once. No matter how you read it, you only read what you're reading while you're reading it, before that point, you didn't know what you would be reading next. By the time your done reading, all you can do is look over what you've already read and reflect or contemplate, sometimes it helps you figure out what happens next, and sometime it doesn't. Despite popular belief, your life is not a book that you write, it is a book written by something else. No one knows what it is, but it's an unexplainable force that exists. It does what it wants, and you can do all you want to alter the words, but by the end, it's more or less predefined. Even the things you do in an attempt to control your experiences, always end up making you realize what little control we actually have over what happens and exists around us. This may seem like a cynical view of life, but that's only true to those with a bad author. Everyone can write, but not everyone can write well. That's why problems don't exist in black and white, they are on a scale. Every book makes some sort of impression on the shelf (whether it be big or small), some are short and sweet, some long and horrible, some long and amazing, some short and awful, some medium sized and mediocre, some are special, some not. It all depends on the author.

Obviously, I don't actually believe that people in unknown dimensions sit around all day writing the book of our lives, but it's interesting to try and believe in something less sad than the simple description of life: its either bad or its good. Maybe we have some control over what we do in our lives, or where we go, but in the end, we're all still victims to circumstance, our environment, genes, experiences, stereotypes, and ourselves. We don't get to choose who we are, we just are who we are and we spend our whole life trying to figure out who that is, and what role we play in the machine of society. We don't grow up defining ourselves, our experiences and how we deal with them defines us, all we do is aid in the changing or altering of that definition.