3

"You saw a boy in the streets who obviously doesn't belong here, you not only spoke to him but brought him back onto our property and now you're defending him! Do you know what could happen if the authorities heard about this? Are you mad?"

"I'm so sorry father, but I didn't want him to..."

"There are no excuses for that! They are not flowers. They are not like us. And most importantly, we are at war with them. Fraternising with the enemy is like to get us in prison."

Blinking back tears, Marigold turned away from her father. It wasn't fair! Her father had been looking for a husband for her for more than a year now, the only man she'd liked was not one her father had suggested. Instead, he was one he hated. One he thought was worth less than nothing. Jonathan was off the cards. Heck, he'd never been on them.

"If I ever, ever see that boy in the orchard, or anywhere near this house, you will never leave the house again! Do you understand me? Do you understand me!"

Marigold nodded miserably, this time not caring to blink back the tears that rose at that statement. Marigold's father softened at the tears now rolling down her cheeks. "Come here, it's okay. You didn't know any better." He comforted as he pulled Marigold into a hug. She buried her face in her father's shirt and shook her head.

Looking out of her bedroom window, Marigold burst into tears properly. Now that she was alone she could truly mourn Jonathan. Even though he wasn't dead, she could never see him again, probably would never even hear his name again. She could see the wall that concealed the other half of the city. Where Jonathan was.