Arrivals

Welcome to London Heathrow. Was the first thing I spotted as I looked out of  my window seat, the rain drops falling down the window. I took a deep breath and looked over at my mum who was sitting next to me. I gave her a slight smile and unbuckled my seatbelt as we got ready to get of the plane. "Home sweet home" was the first thing she said to me.

It had been almost a month and a few weeks since we last saw my dad, so it wasn't a shock as to why my mum was so excited to be back home.

To recap - we had spent a whole four months in Colombia, basically all of the summer where several events have happened, i went as a holiday for finishing university and my mum had to undergo a risky surgery before travelling back home. This became the reason as to why we had to stay an extra month back in Colombia, leaving my dad and two brothers to come back home, i stayed behind to take care of my mum as after the surgery she was too fragile to do anything and she needed at-least 3 weeks of recovery.

Despite everything I didn't want to come back home, before i left i was dating a guy, let me just say the relationship was toxic, but we'll get into that later. During my stay in colombia i found out various things about the guy i was dating that made me question my relationship, my family never approved of him which made my decision to end things easier.

I won't deny the things i found out hurt me, but i was determined to end it for my wellbeing and my mental health. I wasn't too happy to be back in london and face reality again. Life in colombia was looking positively. I knew coming back would mean changes were to be made, but one thing for sure is i was determined to end things with my "boyfriend".

"I'll get the bags, you get the passports ready for security" I told my mum, as she couldn't do any heavy lifting, I was in charge of handling the luggage. Once we got of the plane and made the way into security, I could only think of reasons why she had to come back, trying to hold in the tears I would only picture myself back in colombia, back in the hot weather.

A few minutes went by until we got out of passport control, we made our way to the arrivals gate, once there we spotted my dad who was on the phone to whom i believe was my family in Colombia, who had called to check if we had arrived safe.

I couldn't help but notice the joy in my mums face as she ran towards him and they both held each-other in a tight hug. He pulled away a little after making his way over the to me, I hugged him tight still fighting back the tears.
"Yeah they're fine, we're together now, here speak to Jessica..", he said as he passed over the phone to me.

I took the phone in confusion, "Hello?" I said as she waited to see who was at the other end of the line. "Hunny how are you? I'm glad you arrived safe" at this point I realised it was the eldest of my aunts, I couldn't keep it any longer as the tears made their way down to my cheeks finding it hard to let the words come out.

"Hi aunt Nelly... I'm.. okay, i miss you guys but I wanna go back", I replied finding it difficult to speak.

"I know sweetie, we are gonna miss you both so much, just remember we all love you and will always be waiting for you to come back and visit okay?".

I took a deep breath and at that point realised my das hadn't come alone, as I looked over my shoulder I spotted a guy who was introducing himself to my, at this point I realised he was there to pick us up in his car and take us home.

"I love you guys too, and i promise i will be back soon, i gotta go aunt Nelly we're getting out to the car now, but I'll speak to you soon, i love you guys, say hi to everyone for me", was thing I spoke before wiping my tears away and going over to introduce myself to the guy, who was waiting for me to finish the phone call we introduced each-other and i learned his name was Fernando.

I felt the slight embarrassment as I have never met this guy and he had seen me cry on the phone. One thing you should know is that I was looking a right mess. We made our way out to the car park as my parents and Fernando talked about the flight and Colombia. I could already feel the wind and the cold weather hit me, then it became a reality that I really was back in London. Luckily i had carried my jean jacket with me as i threw it on and made our way to the car.

Once we got in i sat on the back seat turning on my phone waiting for a signal to connect, as soon as i got a signal the messages came flooding in. I let everyone carry on in their conversations as i was in my own world focusing on my phone.

A few minutes went by i started listening in on the conversation, i learnt Fernando was only a few years older than me and was from Colombia too, he had worked for my dad and covered for him while he was in Colombia. As he drove he looked through the rare view mirror asked me, "so Jess what is it you do now, work or study?".

"Well i just finished university and im waiting to graduate next month, but coming back now with no money I'm just looking for work." I replied. Then I realised all this time i was depending financially on my student load, but now that it had been spent in Colombia i had no way to support myself financially, plus i couldn't depend on my parents for money anymore.

"Oh really so you're looking for work, well i have a proposition for you, you see I'm the manager of this new building and im starting a cleaning company if you're interested, you'd have to start Monday though?". I took a minute to process his proposal which in fact my dad thought it would be a good idea, then again i needed the money.

"Sure, how much do they pay and what days and time?".

"Well it would be Monday - Friday from 5am to 7:30am and it'll be £7.50 an hour."

Again i took a minute to process and decided why not give it a chance, then again anything counts until i find something stable.

"Alright I'll do it, just tell me where i gotta go and I'll be there."

"How about I'll pick you up on Monday at 4am and we'll go together, i have a few others that i need to meet there too who will be working with you also."

"Yeah thats cool, count me in".
And that was that, i had landed my first job just on the day i had come back from holidays. And I would be starting in two days.