29.) Darkness Closing In

In this foggy darkness, I feel nothing but pain

In this foggy darkness, I feel nothing but pain. Pain in my head, pain in my chest, even pain in my arm and side. None of that mattered though, because all I wanted to know was how the baby was doing. Was I even still pregnant? Let's face it...I was already stressed beyond belief, but adding the ass beating that Jack gave me... there's no doubt in my mind that I had lost this baby.

"Her ribs are bruised, Mr. Grey, and she has a hairline fracture to her skull, but her vital signs are stable and strong." I heard voices, that started off as low whispers, but soon became clearer the more they spoke.

"Why is she still unconscious?"

"Mrs. Grey has had a major contusion to her head, but her brain activity is normal and she has no cerebral swelling. She'll wake up when she's ready. Just give her time." The doctor explained.

"And the baby?" I heard Christian ask, his words anguished and breathless. 

"The baby is fine, Mr. Grey." 

"Oh thank God." I wanted to smile, but I couldn't move at all. Just knowing that my baby was fine made me happy, but knowing that Christian was actually concerned about the baby...well that just made me darn right giddy. I told you daddy would come around, little bean. I thought to myself. Knowing what I know now made me relax instantly, as unconsciousness claimed me once again.

*

"I'm not leaving her." I heard Christian say. His voice sounded tired, stressed, and almost hoarse. Has he not been sleeping? Just knowing that he was here forced my will to wake up, but I just couldn't. 

"Christian, you should sleep."

"No, Dad. I want to be here when she wakes up."

"I'll sit with her. It's the least I can do after she saved my daughter." I heard Carrick say. Holy shit, Mia! I blacked out before I even had a chance to untie her! I'm hoping that she was okay.

"How's Mia?" I heard Christian ask. It's like he knew that I wanted to know, even though that was physically impossible.

"She's groggy...scared and angry. It'll be a few hours before the Rohypnol is completely out of her system."

"Christ."

"I know. I'm feeling seven kinds of foolish for relenting on her security.  You warmed me, but Mia is so stubborn. If it wasn't for Destiny here..." He began, but Christian cut him off. 

"We all thought Hyde was out of the picture. And my crazy, stupid wife...why didn't she tell me?" He questioned, his voice filled with both anger and sadness. Damn...not if I'm crazy and stupid. 

"Christian, calm down. Destiny's a remarkable young woman. She was incredibly brave."

"Yeah...brave and headstrong and stubborn and stupid." Okay...I was one more stupid away from waking myself up and slapping him in the damn mouth!