Chapter 7:

"I can't believe you did this!" We are sitting at a small table. There is a candle and flowers in the middle of us.

"Anything for you," He looks at the fire and clears his throat, "I'm just trying to find a way to say thank you,"

I raise my eyebrow, "What? Why?"

"There is a lot to say thank you for, lil," He smiles at me.

"I didn't do anything... Thank you,"

"What? Why?"

I run my hands over my body, "For all this," I think for a moment, "I wish you hadn't... of course. This entire trip has been a lot,"

"Well I asked you to be here," The waiter comes to bring us water.

"The appetizers will be ready soon," She smiles at us.

"Thank you," He looks at her. I listen to the piano music playing in the background. I look around the room and lights have been set up and there are flowers everywhere. This is romantic... Wait stop. He's just being nice.

"I forgot to ask," I look at the waiter who is walking away, "Is this real?" I touch the necklace I'm wearing.

"Yes. Of course," My eyes widen. What the fuck. My hands reach around and I try to unclasp it, "Wait. What are you doing?"

"This is too much," Get off, "I can't accept this." This won't come off. I sigh and put my hands on the table. I feel him touch my hand.

"Please... don't. I bought that for you." He looks into my eyes.

"This is a lot, Luke. Like... a lot,"

"So?"

"I just can't," I look down.

"Let me, Lil."

"Luke. You got me limo the first day, you fixed that guesthouse, you have been sending me on all these little trips, you bought me clothes, shoes and diamonds... plus! Feeding me," I sigh, "You know... I don't like..." I can't explain it.

"You can't deny that the limo idea was funny," He chuckles.

"Yeah that was," I guess. The waiter brings a tray of salads. She set them out in front of us.

"Would you like fresh cheese?" She looks at the both us.

We both say, "I'm fine," at the same time.

"Fresh pepper?"

We both look at each other and say, "No."

She smiles at us, "I will be back soon with the entrees,"

"Where was I?" I look at him.

"Lilly... okay. You got to admit the haunted house tour was cool,"

"Yes," I roll my eyes. It actually really was, but I'm not going to tell him that.

"See?"

"I can't repay you," I look at him. I put my hands in my face. He doesn't understand.

"I never expected you to," He eats a forkful of salad.

"I do."

"I know you do, Lil. You don't like owing anyone," He rolls his eyes at me, "Same old, Lilly."

"Well at least you know," I begin to eat my salad. I can't tell if this is bland or if I'm just being miserable.

"Lillian Rose Porter," He is staring at me.

"What?"

"Stop!" He is trying to sound firm.

"Stop what?"