Chapter 1

"No.. Please don't. I'm sorry! It won't happen again! Please..." I pleaded, moving away from the looming figure. 

They moved closer and closer until....

My radio alarm buzzed, blasting out Chris Brown, Don't Wake Me Up. Convenient, I thought, groaning internally. 

I wiped away the stray tears running down my cheek. I hadn't learnt how to control the nightmares, and I never would, but I tried to control how much it affected me. 

Stupid alarm. Why did it have to go off today, out of all the days? All I really wanted to do on my birthday was to wake up at noon, rent a few funny rom com's, and watch them in my room eating Ben & Jerry's until my stomach ached.

That was my goal until I realised today was my 18th birthday or better yet, the day I could start a new life of freedom. 

I flung my sheets off of me and ran to my desk covered in all the essential papers I had printed. I gathered all of them together including my boarding pass and passport. I looked at the destination and smiled.

*****

I had exactly half an hour before a taxi would be outside my house, ready to take me to Heathrow Airport.

I had absolutely no intention of bidding my mother goodbye, but even my heartless mother deserved some closure about where I going to be.

Zipping up my suitcase, I started to make my way over to my mother's study room.

Knocking on the door, I waited.

'Come in!' She half grumbled and shouted.

Inhaling deeply, I stepped into the room. The door shut with a soft click behind me, entrapping me in the she-demons lair.

'What do you want?' she demanded accusingly.

'Well... Uhh... Mom, it's my birthday today...so I was wondering....,' I stumbled on the words, failing to piece together a sentence.

'So? What does that have to do with me?' She grumbled out.

This was it. I was finally going to make a stand.

Drawing in the deepest breath I could manage, while mustering up all the courage I had lost over the years, I blew.

'You know what mom?' .I spat out. 'I'm not even going to ask for your permission, and plus there's no point in asking now anyway, I'm an adult.

'Mom, I'm sick of it. I'm sick of you. I'm sick of your attitude towards me, and the atmosphere that surrounds this place. I have had to deal with your shit for years. For way too long. I don't deserve it, and I shouldn't have to deal with it anymore. I don't deserve to have all your hatred pointed at me just because you blame me for something that I wasn't even responsible for. You need to learn to move on, because after 4 years, I have.

'I'm leaving. I'm leaving this hell hole that I have called home for the past 12 years. I'm leaving you and your crazy tempers and tantrums. I've already bought my plane ticket, and in 2 hours I will be on a plane to Canada. I'm going to go live with Aunt Vivian, mom. And hopefully, there, I will get the life I could have only dreamed about here. The life that YOU-' I pointed an accusing finger at her- 'didn't give me. A life that YOU destroyed.'

Taking one last breath I finished my rant. 'Goodbye mother.' I added such malice to the word mother that even I was surprised.

I left her gaping. Her mouth bobbing up and down like a goldfish. I felt as though a huge weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. I should have done that a long time ago, but I'm glad I finally did say it.