chapter six

chapter six

I stilled, staring at this new man.

"Excuse me?" I asked, eyebrow raised.

Surely, surely he didn't just speak to me like that.

He rolled his eyes. "I said," he repeated as if I was slow. "You. Need. To. Leave."

"I need to leave?" I asked. He stared at me as if I couldn't possibly be this stupid. "On who's authority?"

"Carmello's not interested in pursuing things further," he said, as if reading from a cue. Far too formal and monotone, I realised he must have had to say this a number of times. I paused. Pursuing things further? Another realisation hit me. He thought I was a bed buddy of Carmello. I stifled a laugh.

"Carmello?" I asked, deciding to toy with him a little. "He told me his name was Lucas."

"Okay," he said, taking it in his stride. "Lucas doesn't want to take things further."

"That's not what he said last night," I sighed. "He said we were going to run away together."

"Sorry, darlin'," he told me. "But I'd bet every thing he told you last night was a lie."

"Oh," I said, dramatically holding my hand to my heart. I turned away before just as dramatically, looking at him once more. "Does this mean he doesn't work in an animal sanctuary?" He shook his head. "And the third testicle wasn't a school science experiment gone wrong?"

He stared at me in horror, eyes wide and mouth open. I'll admit his recovery was good, though.

"What are you talking about?"

"Oh," I said again, hand to my mouth in mock embarrassment. "Have I said too much?"

He stared at me for a moment. Then, a moment of realisation passed across his face. He almost smiled. "You're taking the piss?"

"Of course I am," I said, dropping the act.

He checked his watch. "As fun as that was, you still need to leave."

"On a time schedule, are we?"

"As a matter of fact," he said. "We are. Now, leave." He almost sounded like he was begging. I might have enjoyed it if he wasn't so intent on kicking me out.

My gaze moved to the joining figure. Carmello looked between us, clearly a little confused. He was there long enough to hear a snippet of our conversation. If you could even call it that.

"Don't talk to her like that, Gio."

Who I now knew as Gio, turned to Carmello with a look of exasperation as if I was being difficult, which I— of course— was.

He seemed to gauge Carmello's tone quickly and the expression decorating his handsome features.

"How was I supposed to know she wasn't another one of your one nights?" He asked, as if attempting to be quiet and discrete but not quite managing it.

Carmello stared down at him. "You know now." And then, taking the part Gio had enacted with me. "Leave."

Gio was quick to make his escape.

At last, we were alone.

I noticed then Carmello was fully dressed and looking actually very nice in a suit. I wondered the occasion but then, I was the one wearing a night out dress.

He came to stand behind me, looking over my shoulder. "What are you doing?"

I suddenly felt shy and awkward. "Making breakfast?"