Prologue

"Kanike Hatake-san, welcome to the after life. Unfortunately you have died. It might be short, but your life is over."

Someone suddenly spoke to me in a pure white room. That voice sounds familiar, but where have I heard it before...The sudden turn of events confused me.

In the room was a set of office desk and chair, and the one who announced that my life was over sat in that chair.

If there was a Goddess, she must be it. Her beauty was beyond the idols shown on television, she had glamour that surpassed humans. Her long blue hair looked silky smooth. She seemed to be my age. She wasn't too busty or too lacky. She had a light purple hagoromo draped over her clothes.

The beauty blinked her eyes which were the same aqua blue color of her hair, staring at me who didn't know what was going on.

...I thought about was had happened moments ago.
*
*
...It was rare for me who kept staying at home to go outside.

In order to purchase a limited first release version of a popular online game, I got up early to queue up.

Society addressed people like me as Hikikomori.

After buying the game, it was time to return home to play my heart out. I was in a great mood when I thought of that and prepared to return home, but at this moment...

A girl was looking down at her cell phone and walking before me. From her uniform, she should be studying in the same school as me.

After seeing the lights turn green, the girl didn't check the traffic and crossed the road directly.

A large shadow loomed towards her. That must be a large truck heading towards her at high speeds. When I came to my senses, I had knocked that girl away.

After that...

...I asked the beauty before me with a mysteriously calm emotion:"...Can I ask one thing?"

The beauty nodded in response to my question.

"Please go ahead."

"...That girl...that was knocked away by me, is she still alive?"

That was the most important thing. That was the first and last time I did something worthy. If I didn't manage to save her in time despite betting my life, that would be so frustrating.

"She lives! But her injury was bad, she fractured her leg."

Thank goodness...I didn't die in vain. I did something good at the very end...

See me acting relieved, the beauty tilted her head and said:"But, she would not have been hurt if you didn't knock her away."

"Huh?"

What did she say?

"That tractor would have stopped before hitting that girl. That was expected, it was just a slow tractor after all. That means you unnecessarily meddling by acting like a hero made things worse...Pu he he!"

What is this, this was the first time I met this girl. It might be rude but I felt like beating her up.

...Wrong, hold it. I think I heard something that was extremely more important than that.

"...What did you say?Tractor? Not a truck?"

"That's right, a tractor. If a truck was speeding towards that girl, she would have noticed and got away."

...Huh?

"Eh? But what about me? Did I die after getting hit by the tractor?"

"No, you died from shock. You thought you was ran over by a truck and went into shock. I have been doing this for ten years, but you are the first to die so unnaturally!"