five

"I'm really sorry," Jeno said for the umpteenth time. He had said it so many times to Donghyuck he had lost count. What was it going to take before Donghyuck properly forgave him. "I'm really, really sorry. I was busy that day, Donghyuck. I swear, I didn't wanna miss it."

Donghyuck sent him a side glance before continuing with his work. Donghyuck had already told Jeno he had forgiven him, but he still hadn't actually done that. How could he anyways? Jeno had hurt him and he was going to have to do something big to fix it (and Donghyuck wishes it would happen soon, otherwise his feelings for Mark might develop even further).

"You're not forgiven," Donghyuck stuck his tongue out and read over his work. Holidays were great and all, if entrance exams for university weren't approaching them.

Jeno stared at Donghyuck with disbelief. If Donghyuck wasn't able to forgive him for such a small thing, how was he going to get Donghyuck to forgive him for cheating on him with Jaemin. Jeno bit down on his lip and shook his leg. He had to say it now or never anyways. Mark was on his back and he couldn't let Mark tell him. Then again, he had some stuff on Mark, and he believed it was enough to hold the older back for long enough. Jeno just needed the right time and atmosphere before he could let Donghyuck find out.

"I'll do anything for your forgiveness at this point," Jeno groaned loudly, dropping on Donghyuck's bed with a thud and Donghyuck had to fight the urge to smile. Whiny Jeno was fun to tease. "I mean it, I'll do anything."

"Hmm," Donghyuck put his pen down and held a hand to his chin, pretending to think hard about the offer. The horrified expression on Jeno's face was hilarious when Donghyuck told him to get his some dessert.

"What type of dessert do you want? And where from?" Jeno questioned, jumping up from his bed. Donghyuck blinked a few times in confusion, not expecting that reaction and Jeno kept bouncing on his spot. "Come on, I'll get it for you."

"Get me ice cream and waffles from, you know, the store near Taeyong hyung's cafe," Donghyuck waved his hand about and Jeno's jaw dropped. The place was a good hours drive away. The dessert was probably going to melt, but if it meant that Donghyuck would forgive him then he would definitely do it. It was the elast he could do.

"I'll be right back," Jeno left Donghyuck's room and soon the sound of the main door closing shut echoed in the hallway. Donghyuck giggled at the thought of Jeno driving all the way just to get some dessert for him. Maybe his dedication was enough to make Donghyuck forgive him. But his dedication also brought something else to his mind.

He thought Jeno had betrayed him.

Guilt rose up inside him as he thought about what he assumed had happened. Why would Jeno ever lie to him? Why would Jeno ever make a false excuse? Why would Jeno ever purposely make him stand out in the rain? Why would he be unfaithful to Donghyuck? He looked down at his paper and remembered how Jeno looked up at him with wide eyes, pleading for forgiveness. His mind wandered back to Mark, and then his grandma.

The timing wasn't right, but that should be alright. It should be alright. Jeno wasn't wrong. It was wrong. Jeno didn't do anything wrong.

Donghyuck held his head in his hands and took a deep breath. Why did his life have to become so overcomplicated. All he wanted was a cute boyfriend and a great bunch of friends. He had all of that but why were there so many unnecessary emotions lingering around. The confusion he felt, he anger, the sadness. It was so unnecessary. It didn't make sense.

Donghyuck shook his head and picked his pen again, ready for another few hours of revising.

The bell to Donghyuck's house rang and he rushed out of his seat. He didn't even realise when time flew but a few hours had gone past. Donghyuck opened the door and was immediately hit in the face with a bag.

"What's this?" Donghyuck said as he brought the bag away from his face.

"Ice cream and waffles," Jeno said, shooting him a large smile. Donghyuck rolled his eyes before looking down and then up.

"Did you really get them from that specific shop?" Donghyuck gulped and Jeno slowly nodded. "You know you—"

"I did," Jeno interrupted him. "I had to, if it meant I would gain your forgiveness, I would do anything for you."

Donghyuck smiled shyly before hurrying over to the living room to munch in, since it probably would've already started melting. His heart warmed at the fact that Jeno had driven out of town just for him. Jeno had done that for him. Jeno really did like him.

Jeno looked in the living room where Donghyuck had started poking his fork into his waffle and sprayed his ice cream on top. He took a few steps back so that he could be hidden by the door and pulled his phone out. Jeno tapped on the contact and waited a few moments.

"Yo, what is it?" Mark's voice came out slightly messed up.

"Hey, I just wanted to say thanks," Jeno smiled softly and Mark sighed.

"Yeah, yeah. I know I'm a good friend," Jeno hummed in agreement before Mark spoke up again. "But why did you want those ice cream and waffles from that specific shop? I had to drive for a whole hour just to get there and then a whole hour back."

"I don't know," Jeno peered over the door and caught sight of Donghyuck happily chewing on a waffle piece. The smile on his face tightened and his mind remembered Jaemin, who he had just spent the whole day with. "I just heard about it so wanted to check it out."

"Anyways have you and Donghyuck—"

And Jeno cut the call.