Chapter 2

Now two questions are stuck in my head. Which one took the car, and where did they go? I close the door and make my way to the kitchen. My dad is standing there drinking a Cola-Cola. Crying. He looks up at me and tries to smile.

“Hey Paige.” He sniffles a little and wipes the tears flowing from his eyes. “Want something to eat?”

Not really… But if it will make things easier. Then yes.

“Umm… Yeah. I could eat something…” I respond. He turns to the fridge and looks in my direction.

“I can make it myself. But thanks dad.” He smiles a little and shuts the fridge. He makes his way to the table and sits down. Starring at his soda.
I sigh a little before walking over and sitting next to him.

“Wh…” I struggle to get the words out. But I’ve already started. I have to finish. I take a deep breathe, and let it out with the words. “Where did mom go?”

Dad looks at me with pain in his eyes. Which immediately come to mine.

“She… Took a drive.” He pushes his soda away from him.

“Is she coming back?” Shit. Why did I say that. I’m so stupid.

“Honestly. I don’t know Paige.” I sigh and get up.

“I’ll be back.” I walk over to the stairs, and go up to my room. I reach for the door handle and remember that I locked it. I pull the key from my back pocket and open the door, just to see Caleb playing with his hot wheels. A smirk overcomes my face as I walk over and sit down next to him. He looks up at me and I can see through his eyes that he wants me to tell him it’s over.

“They stopped.” He moves his red mustang around before finally answering.

“Where did mommy go?” Oh crap… he must have heard dad and I talking.

“She just went for a … short drive.” I say. Honestly unsure. “She’ll be back soon.”

“How soon?” What should I say? I can’t keep lying to him! Think Paige think!

“When you wake up from your nap.” I smile at him as he leaves his hot wheels and jumps into my bed. I wish he would go to his own room, but he’s only 6. I can deal with it.