I Understand Now

"The deaf believe there is nothing wrong. The hearing believes something needs to be fixed."

- Anonymous

Quetta POV.

Having to force my body to always wake up at a certain time can be exhausting at times. I may be 25 years old but not being able to hear anything for more than a decade can be very disappointing. I know it may seem tough but even being deaf has a plus side. I don't hear people talk negatively about me even if it is a simple compliment.

I got up stretching my bones feeling them move from the awkward position I had slept in. I looked over my right to my night table picking up my phone to see if I had any messages from my brother, Calvin. Calvin is older by four years and has been by my side since the time I was told my hearing is decaying. He signed up for my sign language classes and drove me to my programs at the school. Thanks to his hard work in making me who I am, we both run a business together for special needs adults and children's and with prisoners. I know it sounds weird working with prisoners. But we work with those who had minor crimes and place them to work at different cafe's we own.

I got up walking to my bathroom and switch on the light to see my hair neatly wrapped in my hair tie. I walked towards the toilet and pulled down my pants and underwear to pee. Another thing I can not hear. The sound of my pee rushing against the toilet bowl. I sighed not that I can hear but feel it. When you have gotten used to the loss of one of your sense, all of the others begin to amplify.  Sight, smell, taste and touch. You begin to look at the world through a different angle, smell new things that were faint to you now even stronger. Eating foods I grew up eating makes me imagine new feelings and brings up memories of the past and touching simple items raise the little arm hairs across my body.

I flushed the toilet and opened the pipe washing my hands with the lavender soap Calvin brought from Bath and Body Works. I washed my face and picked up my toothbrush. Checking the clock beside me, I see that it is 7:30 am. I have about 30 minutes left to get ready, make breakfast and wait for Calvin to pick me up. I spit the Colgate foam out and rinsed my mouth out. I switched off the light and walked back into my room. I made the bed and checked my phone seeing that Calvin messaged me.

 I made the bed and checked my phone seeing that Calvin messaged me

I exited the chat and went over to the weather network. Toronto -15-degree Celsius. Great, another cold day in Canada. At least we aren't getting a hectic snowstorm. I walked over to my closet and took out my outfit for the day. I chose my black long-sleeves shirt, with my black jeans, and the black purse to go with it. I went over to my desk and took the documents I would need for today's meeting. I took my heels that I will wear when I enter the office. But till then I am wearing my boots due to the snow that fell last night.

I grabbed my phone, laptop and chargers placing them in the bag and walked out of the room. I placed my bag on the dining table and rest the heels at the door. I walked over to the refrigerator taking out two eggs, almond milk and some strawberries while resting them on the countertops. I walked over to the cupboards and took out a bowl, plate and a mug. Grabbing the whisk and fork out of the draws. Reaching for the nonstick pan and some vegetable oil. I turned on the fire and began cracking both the two eggs into the bowl. I grabbed for salt, pepper and all-purpose seasoning and began to whisk the ingredients together. To check to see if the pan is hot enough, I took a pinch of flour and toss it into pan seeing that it began to sizzle. I pour the mixed eggs and seasoning into the pan. I walked over to the pantry and grabbed some croissants and place them on the plate to warm in the microwave for a minute.