FABIAN

Fabian

ME: Mother!! To what do I owe the privilege of this phone call??

I smiled as my mom replied..

MOM: Oh nothing.. Just checking on my favorite child..

ME: I'm your only child Ma!!

MOM: Well shoot!! You know what I mean..

I laughed as I was exiting the freeway to go home.. My mother is a trip..

ME: Ma, you are a trip!! What's up gorgeous..??

MOM: Oh nothing I was just watching the television and seen this trailer for a new show about Down Low men and I screamed when I saw that Shad is the lead actor in it..

ME: That's right ma!! He finally got his big break!! I'm happy for him..

MOM: Well I'm happy for him too but I just wish he didn't have to be apart of show that dealt with that nasty sinful lifestyle of being a DL man.. DL men are all going straight to hell in my opinion..

I sighed a deep sigh.. I would hate to hear what she had to say if she was to ever find out that her precious baby boy was a cum guzzling, dick sucking DL Power Bottom..

ME: Yeah I hear you mom.. But he's only acting.. His wife is kool wit it.. He just making his money..

MOM: Yea that's true.. I can never knock a man for making his coin..

I paused at her use of the work "coin".. What did she know about gay lingo..

ME: And where you learn that word from.. I hear the gay kids at school use that word all the time..

MOM: Boy you know my hairstylist is gay.. I love me some Grayson.. That boy is a fool..

Confused I asked,

ME: Mom didn't you just say gay men are going to hell??

MOM: No, I said DL MEN are going to hell..

ME: What's the difference??

MOM: Gay men are out and proud and ain't ashamed of who they are.. But DL men are sneaky, secretive, and afraid to just live their best life instead of their best lie..

I bust up laughing..

ME: I hear you ma!! But I just pulled up to the house.. Imma give you call later before I go to bed okay..??

MOM: Okay boo.. Tell Maria I said hello and don't forget we going shopping tomorrow.. And kiss my grand baby for me..

ME: Will do!! Love you!!

MOM: Love you more Suga!! Oh, have you spoken to your father lately?? He's been asking about you..

ME: Not since two days ago.. I swear that man acts like we never speak..

MOM: I know baby.. Just be sure to call him or better yet, y'all should come by the house this Sunday for dinner.. I'm sure he'd love that..

ME: Okay Ma.. We'll be there.. Same time?? 5pm..

MOM: You kno it..

ME: Okay ma.. Gotta go.. Talk to you later..

I disconnect the call and thought about what my mom said.. I don't think I'm secretive, sneaky, or ashamed to live my truth.. I just feel like it's not everyone's business to know who I'm fucking.. PERIOD!!

I go into the house and I'm greeted by the smell of Turkey Enchiladas!! My favorite!! Before I can make it to the kitchen, my 7 year daughter Elexis comes sprinting towards me..