Prologue: May The Gods Have Mercy

Thank you for checking out my first original novel. I have been writing on FanFiction.net for three years and finally decided to try my own story. 

As of right now this is the rough, unpolished version that will be replaced and updated as I work on it and my beta gets back to me. If you're interested in some of the behind the scenes or additional information about this story, feel free to check out my FanFiction Profile where I explain this story in more detail. You can also follow me on Twitter for updates, same name as on here and FanFiction.

~~~X~~~

The Half-Blood Wars

By HephaestusBuilds

Prologue: May The Gods Have Mercy

My name is Captain Verania Ulixes of the Democratic Theocracy of Greece, and may the gods have mercy on what my fellow officers and I are about to do.

Ever since I was old enough to understand the lessons my father and birth country drilled into my mind, I had been taught the history of this world. How, in the days before years were counted, the Gods roamed free on earth and interacted with us mortals. When, thousands of years ago, two world superpowers were born, destined to thrive and one day expand unto the entire earth. The Democratic Theocracy of Greece and The Holy Roman Empire. The two most powerful, long lasting and militarized civilizations to have ever existed on Gaea's green earth. Their history and wars, both against each other and other nations across time and the world, have lasted for as long as anyone can remember, since their first conflict over two thousand years ago. I had the history, pride and mission of my people drilled into me in order to create the perfect soldier, with never a thought of who I would be without a war to fight. I was literally bred for the sole purpose of war, trained as a child to kill, taught that anything could be sacrificed for it. Family, friends... even loved ones.

After being forced to flee my birth country as a young woman, I traveled across the sea to the premier military capital of Greece, New Sparta, in order to forge a new destiny as a soldier in the Greek Military to combat The Holy Roman Empire.

I, like every citizen of the world, wished for a conclusion to this never-ending war that had not only spanned countries and continents, but thousands of years as well. And I would have given anything to end it and hold my former home, and Greece, my adopted home, accountable for their many sins... but not this.

Not my humanity.

In the past century, however, with an uneasy stalemate settling between the two nations, fears of an escalation back to an all-out war were running higher than ever. This was only fueled by the fact that the Holy Roman Empire had been selectively breeding powerful half-blood soldiers for centuries and amassing control over almost the entire eastern hemisphere. Something needed to be done before Greece was left in the dust. A decision had to be made.

After many years of intense debate in the Senate where the motion was denied and revised over and over in an endless cycle, a simple, three-page document came down from the Supreme General himself, created in order to combat and finally destroy the Holy Roman Empire once and for all and preserve our way of life. Looking back, I laugh at not recognizing the signs all around me. The ones I had seen since my birth as I was raised to be a soldier. The way the Supreme General went around Senate vote and procedures to obtain his goal. How we, the military, the ones honor-bound to protect our people, began registering, documenting and later forcefully recruiting half-blood children as soldiers. After all, those who neglect learning their history will one day be doomed to repeat it. And I no doubt had not learned from mine. I could only pray to any God still out there to give me the strength I would need to do what needed to be done.