Chapter 1-The Arrival

They were migrating, and everyone in my village was preparing. Villagers bustled about in fear, hoping they would not arrive before they were scheduled to. The women readied the tributes to the creatures; the men readied the weapons in case any thing went a miss. I stood in the middle of the field watching the sky for the monstrous beasts. I had been kept indoors the first time they migrated but now that I’m eighteen I’m allowed outside. After begging the village elders to be look out, they finally relented and allowed me to work the day shift. Against my parents decision I have been watching the skies for a week now, sometimes I feel myself dozing off for the work is boring and tedious.

            Most of the village people believe the elders were mistaken for appointing a girl as sentry for the town, ever since the migration began only boys held such a position. In fact Fang was supposed to be sentry this year; the boys in his family have been sentries since it all began. He has been unkind to me ever since I started as look out, my parents disapprove and wish for me to quit and work with the other women. I can’t back down now, it would show weakness. I lay down in the field watching the clouds, the sun was warm the breeze made the endless rows of grain wave I dozed off in happiness.

            “Slacking I see.” Fang’s harsh voice startled me upright.

            “I was not; I simply rested my eyes for a bit.” I argued, dusting myself off and picking grass out of my hair.

            “A sentry never closes their eyes. What if the great beasts were to descend upon the village while you rested your eyes? The citizens would be left without warning and you would be to blame.” He scolded. He was right I shouldn’t have been so relaxed, I looked down, shamed. He stepped closer to me; he put a hand on my shoulder his hard look melted into fake sympathy. “Why don’t you help the women? Leave this job to me; no one will think less of you. It’s a heavy responsibility to bear.” He said softly, almost tricking me into thinking he cared. He knew the dragons never came at night, which was the shift he worked; he wanted the glory of being the first to spot them.

            “Who would work the night shift?” I asked.

            “My brother, he’s young but vigilant.” He said, thinking he had me cornered.

            “No that’s okay; I will not rest my eyes any longer, thank you for the advice.” I said shaking his heavy hand off of my shoulder.

            His jaw set in anger, “Just because your grandfather is the high elder, don’t think you’re invincible.”

            With that he stalked off, no doubt having something up his sleeve. He was considered one of the most handsome in the village, raven colored hair seemed to fall perfectly over his amber eyes, and he was a tall well built male from working in the fields. I shook the thoughts from my head and concentrated on watching for dragons even though I knew none would arrive. As the day drew to a close, I left my post for I knew Fang would be there shortly. We gathered around the bonfire, and everyone chattered about how the day went. I was virtually alienated; almost all the villagers avoided me, knowing that if they associated with me it would bring the wrath of Fang’s family.

            “Briar, the name suits her. She’s as coarse as one, not to mention she dresses like a boy and smells like one!” One of the prettier girls, Rosemary said making her friends laugh.

            I shrunk further into the darkness, and away from the crowd. She had said it so I could hear it; ever since we were children she would make fun of me. One would think I would be used to it, but even I a girl named Briar had feelings. I ambled home, and sat alone in my bedroom. I opened my closet and surveyed my clothing; I had dresses but wore mostly trousers they’re easier to move in than dresses. As soon as I could dress my self trousers are all I’ve worn. When I was little I found myself playing with the boys more than with the girls. I rough housed with them, and played with frogs and snails. As we grew older the boys kicked me out of their group because I was a girl and the girls shunned me because I was more like a boy.