The Vow Renewal

November 2019

Carmilla had only been gone for a few days, and Laura was kept a bit too busy for her liking. She was working on two guest articles-- one on the dangers of clogged shower drains, and one on what it's like to start krav maga training at a young age-- as well as picking up Carmilla's shifts at the library. And planning for their vow renewal.

She hadn't had time to even check their phone messages-- or much else, really.

So when Carmilla reappears, Laura gladly tosses all of that aside to go down memory lane with her-- although the memories are much fresher in Carmilla's mind than hers.

Every time Carmilla returns from some trip to the past, they go through the pictures in Laura's collection, usually kept loosely but organized chonologically (from Laura's point of view) in a stack.

The only exception were the prom pictures, which were each given their own page in a small-sized photo album.

"Prom was pretty damn magical," Laura sighs happily as she and Carmilla flip through the photo album. "Although I'll admit I was sad for weeks that we didn't kiss at the end of the night."

That was an understatement. She'd abused every heartbreak song in her library and then some.

Carmilla laughs. "But then the first time I kissed you wouldn't have been the first time you kissed me," she points out.

"Whatta romantic," Laura teases, knowing that she has a point.

Carmilla hums and meets Laura in the middle for a long, sweet kiss. "Look who's talking. You're the one who wants to renew our vows two years into marriage."

Laura chuckles and gives her another peck on the cheek. "We're celebrating the real start to your treatment," she says brightly. "You were able to jump back to almost the same day you left me when you traveled away."

"That's still a long time," Carmilla sighs.

"Still better than waiting for weeks."

Laura goes to the kitchen with their empty mugs in hand, prepping for hot cocoa refills.

After a couple minutes, she hears the sound of Carmilla playing the messages on their machine.

"You have four new messages," it says. "First voice message:"

"Heyyyy Karnstein. It's been almost a day since Laura told me you traveled away. Guess we got some tweaking to do! But don't worry, we're gonna make sure the blood you got from your dad... it won't go to waste, okay? See ya when I see ya."

"Message deleted."

"Next voice message:"

"Hi, sis. Just wanted to see if your treatment is working. Although I guess it's not, or I wouldn't have to leave this message at all."

Laura hears Carmilla laugh and she doesn't delete this message.

The cocoa is ready now but Laura almost drops the mugs upon hearing the next message-- but it's too late as she scrambles out of the kitchen.

"Hello. This message is for. Laura Hollis. This is a third reminder regarding your urgent medication refill. Your prescription has been ready. Please pick it up as soon as possible. Thank you."

Carmilla turns to find Laura holding two full mugs.

"What prescription?" Carmilla asks.

"Oh, uhm. It's nothing," Laura mumbles. Shit.