Prologue

The old yellow cab came to a screeching halt outside of Chloe's red-brick duplex, splashing polluted rainwater onto the uneven slabs of the battered sidewalk. This was home now. She had traveled ten hours north away from the warm sunshine and the white sand beaches to be immersed into a very heavy, yet steady thunderstorm. She loved the rain though. The tumbling grey clouds, the unanticipated flashes of lightening, and the grumbling rolls of thunder. She loved it all.

The raindrops tapped ferociously on the cab window as she quickly gathered her things. It wasn't much; just a few suitcases since she had already moved the bulk of her things the weekend before. Her new furniture was due to arrive any day, but for now the twin blow-up bed jumbled in with her suitcases would suffice.  She had planned to be sleeping on a new California-king style bed when she moved in with her boyfriend, but her relationship ended abruptly prior to her move. She didn't mind being on her own though, besides she was sure she would make friends quickly through school or work; there's bound to be a few that play into the stigma of the exotic new girl in town. She was the new bartender at Harlow's Bar and Grill; a quaint little bar that was very popular with the townies. 

Chloe stepped out of the cab as salty raindrops splashed next to her. She struggled with her bags for a moment as she pulled her hoodie over her head to prevent her from catching a cold. Looking towards her duplex, she noticed a ghostly shadow lurking on the side of her building. 

"Hello? Is anyone there?" Chloe nervously called out through the whistling wind.

"Miss? My tip," the cab driver interrupted.

"Oh-h. Sorry," she said rummaging through her purse, "Um can I ask you something?"

"Yes miss," he said receiving his tip.

"Maybe it's just me, but do you see something, like a shadow on the side of the building?"

The cab driver stared blankly at Chloe for a moment before straining his eyes through the rain to get a better look.

"No," he said quickly, "maybe it's a cat or something.

"Yea, maybe," she said softly.

"This is a safe place," he assured her with a smile, "have a good day."

The cab door slammed behind her and Chloe continued towards her new home and up the steps leading to the old fashioned red door. Old Ashton was a small and safe town; this was a safe place just as the cab driver had assured her. She didn't know her neighbors yet, so perhaps it was a neighbor on the side of her building trying to get a glimpse of her since apparently no one had lived in 1403 meadow lane in over ten years. The storm began to pick up and as the rain crashed against her fragile olive-tone hands, she struggled to open the door.

"Do you need help?"

Chloe spun around on her heels dropping her keys to the ground at the sound of the low-husky voice behind her. He had the kind of face that would stop you dead in your tracks. He had tousled dark brown hair, which was thick and lustrous. His eyes were a mesmerizing hazel and his tan face, which  was complemented with a scruffy thin beard, was strong and defined as if his features were molded from granite. He appeared taller than the average man and his body stood firm and strong. He didn't look threatening.

"Oh-h no. I got it," she stammered.

"Are you sure," he paused, "I know how these old doors could be," he continued slowly approaching.

"No really, it's okay. I'll figure it out," she said with a half-smile.

"Okay then, but you might want to try lifting the door slightly while you turn the key. It should open then."

"Oh, thanks for the tip," she paused doing as he instructed, "Um, I'm Chloe by the way. I'm new here."

"I noticed," he smiled politely.

"Right," she said shaking her head, "So do you live nearby? Perhaps next door," she asked raising a brow.

"No," he replied firmly, "I used to."

"Oh well, It's getting pretty bad out and I couldn't help but notice that you're not wearing a jacket." she said opening her front door.

"No need to concern yourself with me, I'll be okay. I have a strong immune system," he said flashing a smile, "besides you shouldn't invite strangers into your house."

"Oh, well thanks again for the tip mister..."she said as her voice trailed.

"Ethan. It's just Ethan."

"Well, thanks Ethan. I really appreciate it. Unlike you, I don't have a strong immune system," she said emitting a soft giggle.

"Well, you better get inside then .It's quite late for someone like you to be out here alone."

"Someone like me?" Chloe turned to look at him square in the face.

"I didn't mean anything by it. I just meant that you're young, beautiful, you never know who could be lurking about," he said flashing a toothy grin.

"Lurking. Like you," she chuckled.

"I'm the least of your worries," he smiled," Well it was nice to meet you," he continued as he turned to walk away.

"Yea...nice to meet you too."

Chloe watched as Ethan walked up the one way street to the main road. He had suddenly appeared out of nowhere and although his sudden appearance raised many questions in her head, their brief encounter left her wanting to know more about him. Something about him had captivated her and she hoped she would get the chance to see more of him.