Chapter Thirty-Nine

"What are you saying? I should have been able to stop it because I should have been ready for it to happen?" My knuckles are turning white as I grip the steering wheel, imagining it's Liam's neck for putting me in this situation.

"No, but Cat, you know he's not over you. You're spending all kinds of time with him. You had to expect, or should have, that he'd give it the ol' college try before hanging up his cleats forever."

"Sports analogies, really?" I reply. I see him grin as he shrugs at me.

"I'm just saying I'm not surprised is all," Alex admits.

I sigh. "I thought, no... I hoped, we were past all of this, but I'm done. I'm not going over there anymore. He's on his own. And why aren't you mad?"

"Oh, I'm mad," Alex assures me, "just not at you."

"Why? I let it happen. You just got done saying that I should have expected it."

"Cat, I've been around you long enough to know your facial cues, and you were definitely not on board with what was happening when I walked in that door. My only concern is whether you'd have told me about it if I didn't show up when I did?"

"About the kiss?"

"Yes, the kiss. I understand it wasn't wanted or enjoyed, but I can't help but wonder, if I hadn't walked in on the two of you, would you have told me about it at all?"

"Is this one of those psych-analogy boyfriend/girlfriend tests to see how strong our relationship is?"

"More of a... simple curiosity," Alex remarks.

After taking a moment to give it some thought, I give him what I believe to be the most honest answer, "I don't know."

I feel his stare.

"Guess I failed the test."

"Why don't you know?" Alex inquires.

"Well, if you hadn't seen the kiss for yourself, you wouldn't have the visual proof it wasn't voluntary, so telling you would only hurt you. Why should I do that to you when the result is the same? I'm never going to see him again."

"So, you'd just come home and announce that you're no longer going to hang out with Liam and not expect me to ask why?"

"No, I'd expect you to ask why, but I'd just say we're done. There's no reason for me to see him anymore."

"But you're friends, right?"

"Not anymore!" I mutter, glowering.

"That doesn't make sense. You've spent all this time helping him. Why would you just end your friendship?"

"Because he kissed me!"

"He kissed you?!" Alex gasps, pretending to be shocked, and I narrow my eyes at him.

"I see what you're doing here." I want to wipe that smug smirk right off of his face. "Nice role-playing reversal."

"Thank you," he says. "And what have we learned?" he asks in that patronizing teacher voice.

"That it would have been stupid to not tell you because the truth would have come out anyway, and when it did I'd look as if I'm deliberately hiding things from you."

"Hmm, I didn't even think of that last part, but that's also true," he adds, folding his arms over his chest. "Now I am mad at you."

I only give him the benefit of a side glance. "You can be a real jerk sometimes, you know that right?"

He laughs. "Yeah, but you still love me."

I sigh. "I do. I do love you."

"That's all I ever need to hear."