The Story of Edward Knox

"Ward E, room 304. Paranoid schizophrenia," the nurse informed bluntly, clipboard in hand. She leaned in towards Daisy and muttered, "He's a young boy... A little creepy I might say- I don't quite know what to think of him." She gave her colleague a pat on the back and handed her the boy's files. Then she turned around and began promptly walking down the hall towards her next patient, her heels clacking on the tile. "You'll do fine Daisy!" She called over her shoulder.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

​ When Daisy entered the young patients room, the boy, whose name is Edward Knox, was crouched in the dusty corner with his back to the door. He was playing with cards.

​ "Edward? Dear, I'm Miss Daisy. I'll be your nurse."

​There was a moment of hesitation, but Edward slowly turned his head and peered back at her. His mousy brown hair covered his small forehead like a wet mop, his lips pursed in a blunt, straight line. His grey, somber eyes darted around as if to ask for approval to talk to this new lady. Edward blinked at Miss Daisy and spoke, "Hello."

​ Miss Daisy closed the door behind her and walked across the small, bleak room to Edward's corner. "What are you playing with?" She asked kindly, kneeling down next to the boy.

​ He glared at her and quickly covered up his cards with his hands. "They're not your tarot cards."

​ Miss Daisy chuckled, "I'm not going to take them away from you. Whose are they then?"

​ Edward paused as though he was considering whether or not to answer. "They're Dandy's. She lets me borrow them." His voice was hesitant and distant.

​ Miss Daisy smiled courteously at Edward, "That's nice. Who's Dandy?"

Edward replied simply,"Dandy's my friend... Why don't I introduce you right now, she's right there." He motioned to the empty space next to him. No one was there.

​ Before Miss Daisy could chime in to the fact that no other presence was visible, Edward continued. "Dandy! Say hello..." he laughed hastily. "She's not much of a talker."

​"Edward, Dandy sounds lovely... but I can't see her." Miss Daisy retorted sympathetically.

​ "Most people can't," he replied harshly, "I guess you're just like the rest." He sighed as his hopes crumbled like graham cracker pie crust. Miss Daisy nodded.

​ Edward paused and looked up skeptically at Miss Daisy. He spoke slowly, "Dandy says she wants to do your tarot reading. She says she has a weird feeling about you."

​ Miss Daisy hastily agreed. The idea of Edward's schizophrenic character was a little creepy to her.

​ Edward got up to flick off the light switch, returned to his seat, and placed his flashlight in front of his crossed legs. The sound of Miss Daisy shuffling the cards echoed around the quiet room.

​ Edward's harsh, grey eyes bore into Miss Daisy as he distributed the cards face down in front of her. "Dandy wants you to close your eyes and choose what card feels right..."

​ Miss Daisy reached out her hand and hovered over the cards, her eyes closed. Before she could choose, a tingle rushed down her spine. The feeling of eyes on the back of her neck and a hand on her shoulder was uneasily real, sending goose bumps down her body with the chilliness of the Edward's corner. She spun around, her heart beating hurriedly. But through the dark she couldn't see anyone.

​ The room was all too cold when Edward spoke, "Don't worry, it's just Dandy. She wants to watch from behind you."

​ Miss Daisy tried to clear her head. This was a little freaky. But she knew she had to return to the game. After all, it was her job to watch over the boy and learn about his condition. So her hand landed on a card and she slid it forward. She stared at it through the darkness, the flashlight illuminating her face with a yellow glow. A knight on horseback gleamed back at her from the tarot card. The bottom spelled the word Death.