5. Abandoning

Three days after Jean was taken, the room still had a somber atmosphere.

None of them were really over it. Her death served as a reminder that they weren't to be there permanently, no matter how much the girls allowed the men to have their way with them; eventually they would be killed. Besides that, they all genuinely missed her. Since her arrival Jean had tried to coach the new arrivals how life was lived in that confinement; the way she helped Lisa, giving her her own legs to sleep on, helping her use a bucket was how she treated most of the newbies. It must have been instinct, she out of all of them had the oldest child back at home, giving her a few more maternal years under her belt.

Cindy kept up a strong face about it; even though the men had brought in three new girls who were clueless as to what was going on, everyone sat around and held a little mock-group discussing Jean, sticking mainly to tell stories about what she had told them her time there. Cindy lead the discussion.

“She told me about her kid, Patrick, she called him 'Patty'. How he was already thinking about playing soccer when he starts middle school. She told me she'd give him a hard time about it because of the laundry and I guess he'd get pissed and storm off and pout about it until supper.” She forced out a chuckle, “She just enjoyed teasing him.” The new girls weren't paying much attention to her, instead they huddled together, unable to focus on anything else besides what was happening to them.

Lisa didn't contribute any memories from her short time knowing her; instead she sat away from them, even from Lauren. She was sulking to herself, seeing no point being in mourning.

All she did was think; she was tired of the world she was in, of being naked, looked at as nothing more than a vessel, an object. It goes without saying that she was angry, but she didn't know what to do. Could anything be done to end her living nightmare? What could she do? They had guns; if she tried to initiate a revolt they'd be out-numbered five to one. But doing anything to stop it and live was worth more to her than “waiting” for the slaughter.

One thing was on her side, though, and it was time. It had been slightly under two weeks since she was brought to the factory, meaning if she was correct she had just another week to go before the men would start coming for her, another week to think.

While Lauren slept her head on Lisa's legs she laid awake for most of the rest of her nights, thinking about what possibilities she had. Let's say she was taken out and they offered to give her more time, then what? What would she have to do to get away? Then, if she did, what would she do to get help? She doubted there was a phone line in that building as old as it was, or for that matter a computer to get in contact with the outside world. And she knew if she was able to escape that room she wouldn't have long before someone outran and obliterated her. The more she over-thought it, the less likely success seemed.

Lisa discussed it with Lauren two days before she was called out, while the music was playing so her ideas wouldn't be spilled out for the wrong person to hear. “We could try to do something. I'm not taking this lying down.”

Lauren was apprehensive about the thought, although it did seem sweet. “But how? Think about it...”

“I have been!” Lisa interrupted. “I don't care if it doesn't work, I need to try something. I don't wanna suffer this shit, I wanna at least try. I wanna try to live the rest of my life!”

“Honey, do you think I don't wanna live mine? Every night I keep dreaming about being in my living room, nothing else. I haven't had a bad dream yet. I just keep seeing myself sitting in front of the TV feeling relaxed, being home safe. I can't see that happening anymore.” Lisa could see the wear in her face as she said that; Lauren was broken down, she only saw the reality that was present, not the one Lisa as a chance.