Chapter Five

"I'm supposed to be examining Starfur!" Squirrelfur howls.

"Yeah, right!" Silverpaws snarls a retort. "I was sent by Queen Greylegs!"

     "So was I!" Squirrelfur howls back.

     Wait? Did Queen Greylegs send them both as a distraction from mine and Roseycheek's escape?

     Silverpaws flicks her ears back, bares her teeth, and unsheathes her claws. Her fur is bristling with fury. "She could've only sent one of us and that 'one of us' IS ME!" She thrusts herself straight to Squirrelfur.

     I quickly scramble out of the way, to the edge of my clearing, before I get crushed by the two fighting healers, but I'm too late. My back legs and tail get crushed by Squirrelfur.

     How will I get out? I don't want to get caught in I fight that I don't need to get involved in.

     I quickly scan the other side of the clearing for her, but all I can see is Squirrelfur and Silverpaws fighting.

     "This is the day you die, Squirrelfur! You always get King Rabbitfur and Queen Greylegs to adore you! You're their favourite! What am I? I'm just your shadow! I try to be better than you! I try to be praised! And what do I get? A PUNISHMENT! You always get away with it!" Silverpaws howls. "Now it's time for you to pay." She dives her head straight for Squirrelfur's neck.

     Before Silverpaws gets a chance to kill him, Roseycheek barrels into her side, knocking her off.

     Silverpaws hauls Roseycheek off and gives her a solid slash across the face. She turns back to fight Squirrelfur who had a chance to recover.

     Roseycheek quickly dashed over to me. "Did I forget to mention that Silverpaws and Squirrelfur both try to out-do the other and loath each other to the point that they will kill the other?" Roseycheek asks, her voice trembling with fear.

     "Nope" I respond, my voice surprisingly stable.

     "Well, they do and I suggest we get out of here and get some help before Silverpaws kills us all."

     "You suggest? That should be an order!" I tease her.

     "Well, then why are we standing here like trees? Let's get going!"

     We quickly and stealthily dash out of the clearing, hoping Silverpaws doesn't block our escape attempt.

     "I think Queen Greylegs sent them both there as a distraction to everyone so we can make our escape." I point out as we keep running.

     "Are you sure about that?" Roseycheek responds.

     "Positive. They both mentioned that they were sent by Queen Greylegs."

     "They did say that."

      Now I know I can trust Queen Greylegs. This is clearly her plan to help us escape and she knows I'm smart, so she knows I'll figure out it was part of the escape plan without anyone telling me.

      I get so lost in my thoughts that I don't recognize that Foxfur of all Forest Pack wolves was in our path. We barrel into him, not having a chance to stop in time.

     "Get off of me!" He snarles, his voice muffled by the grass.

     Roseycheek and I quickly leap off of him, not wanting to make him angrier than he already is.

     Foxfur heaves himself up. He have pine needles and twigs stuck to his fur from us barreling him over.

     He glares at us with fury. I can feeling the fire in his glare pierce through my pelt.

     "What are you two doing? Don't you know where you're supposed to be?" He growls at us, taking threatening steps forwards.

     I should've been more careful. If I was, we wouldn't have ran into him.

     "S-Squirrelfur a-and Si-Silverpaws are fi-fighting!" I stammer, trying to get the words out.

     His only response was his eyes narrowing further.

     Is he going to kill us because he doesn't believe us? If he tries, I'll try my best to protect Roseycheek, even if it means risking my life because I know he's stronger, stronger than me.

     After a moment he snarles: "You're only saying that so you can distract me. You're trying to escape, aren't you?"

     "Who's escaping?" A stern, strong voice questions from my right.

     We all turn our heads towards the voice. King Rabbitfur and Queen Greylegs approached us without any of us noticing. Except maybe Foxfur.
He mentioned the escape right as they should've arrived.

     King Rabbitfur and Queen Greylegs both have judgemental looks on their face.