Chapter 1: Rolland Parker

"Take a shot, make a friend, just enjoy the moment."
-Miguel

Scott's POV

I vividly recall the new case file I forgot on the coffee table and my nervousness just increases. I'm waiting for the elevator, it's my first day of work at Rolland Parker law firm. My interview was just last week, maybe I'm not ready to start at such an A list firm. Remembering how I was squirming in my seat as I waited to be interviewed is not helping so I try to distract myself. I remember my mom's hot chocolate and how comforting it is. I would give anything to drink it right now, to feel the warmth and the mild sweetness going down my throat after being tasted by my tongue.

The elevator finally dings and it's time for me to come back to reality and head up to my cubicle.

Yes, cubicle.

No, first year lawyers do not get offices, they have to earn them by completing and possibly winning all their research cases and assignments in time, and if they're lucky maybe their boss will genuinely like them. Sucking up to the boss however is just pathetic and was the first rule you learn in law school. Never suck up to a fellow lawyer. Even your boss.

Unless you really have to.

I'm talking a life or death situation. I'm sure Harvey Specter would beg to differ.

It's 7.30 am in the morning, I'm supposed to start at 8:00 but being here 30 minutes early is comforting and reassuring in a nice way.

I say good morning to my boss's secretary before heading to the shared kitchen for a cup of coffee. I have just enough time to take two so that's what I do.

On my desk, I find two new case files, one from my boss and one from my boss's boss. Guess who gets to do all the dirty work. I love it though, it's what's I went to school for, it's what I've been longing for.Practising law has always been my dream, my passion, my everything.

I get to them. One is about a woman who wants to sue her coworker for not treating her well. I wonder what the HR department does these days if people are going to court now. The other case is about a rich couple filing for divorce, but the woman won't split her wealth because they signed a napkin prenup one drunk summer evening while taking a vacation in Hawaii, the weekend after her husband asked to marry her.

What a cliche.

I think of all the ways I'll have fun with this case and all the jokes and puns Riley will make as we lightly talk about our future together.

I remember Riley's sweet vanilla scent and wish I was smelling her right now but I have to get on with my day and practise law. I carry on and make a mental note to go to the library on the 8th floor to see all the ways I can help the woman and win the case. Research is everything in law, there's always a loophole somewhere.

I also happened to remember a popular quote in law school by EK Williams about how cases are won in the library, not the courtroom.

I get to work as I secretly wait for the day to end faster so that I can see Riley and tell her all about my day and listen to her talk in awe about all the interesting people and things she saw at work today. She loves being a doctor. I mean who wouldn't!

A/N
Hi readers, sorry for taking such a long time to finally update, I have been beyond busy with work and school. I'm updating this on my ten minutes break at class, before the lecture resumes.

Things are slowly falling into place and I promise to update more.

Thank you again, and treat people with kindness.