Chapter Twelve

Johnie

I don't know if my brain is used to it at this point or if I'm just so goddamn terrified that the fear hasn't hit me yet, but whichever it is it gets worse as I watch this figure drop from the ceiling before us and let out its piercing scream.

As if the sound is a physical force, my knees buckle and I pull Alfie to the ground with me. Immediately pulling him under the desk, all I can do is stare in complete, mind-numbing horror at what I can only describe as a tall, skinny stick figure. I can't even call it a person!

With the light of the monitors gone and the dim lightbulb above the only light left, I can't really make out exactly what has us cornered, but as it lets loose another cry its looks become less of a concern.

Alfie cries out softly and my heart clenches from just how scared he sounds. When I slid us backwards under the desk he slid to sit next to me, his body trembling and his shirt sticky.

Is he injured?!

The mere possiblity sends my mind scrambling for means of escape. With my chest deepening each strained breath and my skin deciding to sweat even more, I go into pure fight or flight mode.

The figure doesn't seem to move, instead it simply stands there and lets out one girlish scream after another like some kind of alarm. Wanting to just scream right back at it in frustration, my mind suddenly reminds me of something just a few inches away from us.

My stomach clenches and my entire body protests against my decision, but I carefully shift to my hands and knees as I ready myself for the assault. I feel my brother's hand brush my ribs, but it reaches out more in desperation than trying to stop me.

When the next screech from the creature causes my twin to flinch away from me, I take the opportunity to throw myself forward from under the table and grasp the sharpened cross left on the cold stone floor. I can sense the creature's gaze and I'm glad I can't make it out as I stand up straight and clench the metal tightly enough to send sharp tendrils of pain up my arm.

The creature's height almost reaches the ceiling and its form resembles more of a tall sapling than an actual human, but as it takes a step forward the dim lightbulb fully illuminates the distinguished features of a woman. Her eyes are dark and beady, more beast than man and her jaw seems to detach as she utters another relentless cry.

The shock of the creature's appearance sends static dancing across my flesh, but as she suddenly crouches in what I take as an act of aggression my mind takes over.

Operating on autopilot, all I can think of is this thing mutilating me in front of my brother before devouring us both, the image and emotions driving me forward to thrust the metal cross into whatever body part I can reach first.

I don't care if I'm hurt in the process, I just hope that this makes the creature leave us alone, but I at least expect some kind of reaction. Shuddering at the sensation of the sharp object sinking into the creature's torso, she doesn't as much as flinch from the wound.

She doesn't move, stumble, scream, she doesn't react at all. All she does is straighten up and peer down at me with those two beady eyes, their blackness seeming to draw me into a cold, dark, and lonely void.