Chapter 1: A Very Merry Dilemma

CHAPTER 1: A VERY MERRY DILEMMA

The minute Estelle Merryweather stepped through the doors of her high school; she knew she had messed up.  How? She was yet to figure that out, but it was pretty obvious from the way people stared at her; NO! Gawked at her.

She ignored them and continued on her way, trying to locate the blonde head of Lilly or the red head of Jenna. She side stepped the loafers and maneuvered her way through the crowd, before a big hand caught he by her wrist and tugged her into another corridor.

“What the hell Dan?!” she muttered looking up at always cheerful and annoying Daniel Stoll.

He stared down at her with his mouth open and then said “what the fuck are you wearing?”

Estelle looked down at her bohemian print spaghetti top, light- wash lace trim shorts and combat boots, and then looked up at him in confusion.

“What do you me…?” She trailed off noticing his sweater and full length jeans.  “Why are you dressed liked that?”

“Because it’s December and it snows here in Illinois. This ain’t California.”

“But it was sunny this morning and really still.”

Dan burst out laughing,” I can’t …..Believe …..You…..oh my god …..Elle…you did the same thing on your first day.”

“Don’t even remind me.” She says wincing at the memory of her entering school in a sweater coat, full pants, winter boots and a muffler, seeing everyone dressed in shorts and t- shirts cause it was apparently “summer” . Hence she braved the cold windy days and today of all days when it happened to actually be warm and pleasant, all these people wear sweaters.

She rolled her eyes at the immaturity of Dan and began walking away leaving him laughing in her wake.

“Sorry Elle! “ Dan laughed running behind her.

“Go away” she muttered.

“ELLE!!” he whined loudly earning quite a few glances their way.

Elle’s cheeks flushed crimson and she muttered,” BYE!”

“But…”

“Bye”

“Elle come on.”

“Bye.”

And with that she walked away to her first class of the day, smiling lightly to herself.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dan doodled quietly on the edges of his binder as he tried desperately to try paying attention in his biology class.

He scribbled a Christmas tree and Noel on the paper, his excitement over the coming holiday increasing each second.

“Mr. Stoll, What are these special characteristics of RBC’s?” Mrs. Ender asked.

Dan stared at her with a blank face, and slowly he began to smile embarrassedly.

“Okay you caught me! I’m sorry; I swear I’ll pay attention.”

Mrs. Ender sighed and looked at Elle sitting two rows in front of him and gestured for her to answer.

Her voice rang out soft and clear, “RBC’s do not contain a nucleus hence they are bi-concave in shape increasing the surface area to absorb respiratory gases, they do not contain mitochondria hence respire anaerobically, and lastly they are devoid of an endoplasmic reticulum hence they are flexible and can squeeze through the narrowest of capillaries with ease. ”

“Very good.”

She turned to look at him; he smirked and mouthed,” NERD.”

She chuckled and looked away.

He was kinda glad Estelle moved back to Illinois, they were forced best friends at the age of two to six when she moved away to L.A and stayed that way when she came in the summers to stay with her Gran, Nana Merry.

The Merry weathers’ were the Stolls’ best friends all the way back to at least four generations, when their great grandfathers hunted game together for Christmas. They were practically family.

But when Dan’s mum told him they were moving back he was a little concerned as too whether or not they’d go back to being friends, or it would be awkward since they hadn’t seen each other for at least five years (Nana Merry went to L.A to catch herself a ‘smoking’ hot Californian surfer’ as she aptly told Dan when he went to visit.)

And so they were awkward during the family reunion and shy, till she quoted Dumbledore in English class and all reservations flew out of the window.

As a wise man once quoted, “the minute a person quotes a fictional character, you know you stand before a kindred spirit.”

Yes the wise man is Daniel Stoll.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Elle waited for Dan under the, now barren, oak tree outside the school. She caught sight of his brown messy hair over the crowd of people.

“You know I could drop you off. The weather doesn’t seem so pleasant.” Jenna shouted rolling down the window of her Toyota. Lilly nodded frantically from the passenger side.

“Guys, you know I walk home with Dan.”

“We’ll drop him too.”

“No, you should carry on seriously.”She said as Dan came to stand beside her.

“Well if they aren’t taking up the offer, we sure will.” Dan’s friend, Austin yelled, while he and Corey pushed past them and got into the back seat.

Austin leaned forward to kiss Lilly swiftly, while Corey and Jenna gagged.

“Let’s stop by at waffle house!”

“BYE!!” they yelled.

Elle and Dan laughed and started walking in the direction of their houses.

Elle shivered a bit as the cold started biting into her exposed skin. 

Dan noticed and chuckled. Then he reached into his bag and handed her a thin extra sweater he had with him.

She smiled with gratitude and shrugged it on.

Suddenly she felt something cold and slightly wet on her cheek.

She looked up to the sky and saw a million snowflakes floating downwards almost lazily. Her green eyes widened in excitement and she started laughing, hitting Dan in the stomach excitedly.

“OH MY GOD DANNY!! It’s snowing!”

He laughed and caught a snowflake on his tongue, she tried to do the same; sticking her tongue out and looking upwards to the sky.

They laughed and played in the snow all the while Elle’s bare legs losing feeling.  She suddenly took a step forward and felt her boots get heavier and toes feel wet.

“What the hell?” she looks down and Dan looks at her in confusion. As it strikes both of them, Elle’s mouth widens into a perfect ‘O’ and Dan once again bursts out laughing at her expense.

Elle stomps away, her boots ‘squelching at each step, making Dan laugh even harder.

When she’s home Estelle Merryweather decides that while she likes to look at snow from outside her window, she doesn’t like it melting in 150$ worth combat boots.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A/n : so this is the story I’ve written for @northandsouth ‘s beautiful Christmas challenge ‘LET T SNOW.”

Vote, comment and let me know how you like it.

-riki<3