need a ride?

I could not walk through school. I could not look at anyone in the eyes. I could not help but to feel paranoid about my surroundings. And most of all . . .

I could not look at him.

It happened about a week ago. I was at school, pretty late, hopping from teacher to teacher, and studying. I stayed in one teacher's room until he left and then went on to the next teacher until she left and kept going until the last one finally left campus at 6:00PM. Both of my parents and my brother were busy by then and could not pick me up, so I had no choice but to walk home.

Home wasn't too far from school, so I was never afraid of walking home, whether it be nighttime or day.

I had just walked out of the boundaries of our campus when a car approached me. Naturally, I got scared and avoided eye contact as I continued to walk. The crimson red car beside me continued to drive, imitating my pace. I began to gradually walk faster, hoping to find some small alley to hide in.

Just then, I felt the car slow down and fall behind me. A familiar voice hollered from the car.

"Lisa!" I turned around. "It's me, Carter! You know? Your cousin's boyfriend!" I let out a sigh of relief as I started to walk towards his car.

"Sorry! I didn't recognize your car."

"Don't worry," he chuckled. "I just got this car a few days ago."

"You freaked me out, following me like that!" I laughed nervously.

"Sorry, kid. So, where you going? Need a ride?"

"Um, sure. I'm just going home. Not too far from here."

"Alright, get in. I can drive you," he said as he smiled and reached over to open the passenger door for me.

Carter's a senior at school, just a year older than me and my cousin. He has this gorgeous black hair that he gels so that it flips up in the front and this killer smile that can make any girl fall to her knees. You'd think Carter was a football player by how built and charming he was. But no, Carter was an AP Chemistry student and a singer on the side. Quite a catch, if you ask me.

He's been dating my cousin, Clarissa, for about 2 years now. They're one of the cutest couples I've witnessed, well, without making me barf, that is. Within the past 2 years, I was the middle man in countless surprises done by both of them.

"So, how've you been?"

"I've been good. How's chemistry?" I giggled.

"Good," he smiled. "How's your boyfriend?"

I blushed, "I have no boyfriend."

"All this time, I thought you did," he claimed. "Sorry."

The casual conversation continued on until we reached this street that looked unfamiliar. I tried to let him know that we were not going into my neighborhood. "If you don't mind, I need to make a stop at my friend's house to pick up something," he said as he turned into the driveway of a green, two-story house on the left. "It should be fast."

I sat back as he got out of the car and walked around to the side door. I began to play a variety of games on my phone. I was so engaged in playing my games that I didn't notice 10 minutes had already passed. As I was getting frustrated, Carter interrupted me with a phone call.

"It's taking a while. Why don't you come in for a bit?"

Nervously, I hung up and got out of the car. I started towards the side door, hoping to be greeted by the mother of his friend, or some sort of family member.

I wasn't.