Infinite Sacrifice (Infinite Series, Book 1)

INFINITE SACRIFICE 

The First Book of the Infinite Series 

L.E. Waters

Published by Rock Castle Publishing

Copyright (c) L.E. Waters, 2011

Cover by Digital Donna 

e-book formatting by Guido Henkel

This book is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

All rights reserved. Except as permitted under the U.S. Copyright Act of 1976, no part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means, or stored in a database or retrieval system, without the prior written permission of the publisher. 

I dedicate this book to all of the characters in my life... 

thanks for the inspiration

Foreword 

I researched the time periods portrayed in my books and pulled many of my ideas from historic events. When I involve historical people in my books, I try to portray them accurately but take fictional liberty with conversations, timelines, and mysteries-filling in the details absent from written record. The reader must remember that this is, first and foremost, historical fantasy fiction. I maintained a sense of magical realism throughout and hope the reader will take such leaps of imagination with me, assured that there is fundamental support underneath this novel but keeping an open mind to enjoy the story envisioned. 

If there are any doubts as to the accuracy or plausibility of story lines, please visit my website, www.laurenwaters.net, where I dedicated a whole section to a bibliography and more detailed research behind this fictional piece just for those who might enjoy reading further about these cultures, events, and people. 

In regards to the spiritual/religious aspect of this book, it is not meant to come across as non-fiction. This is how I perceived heaven to be in an artistic sense and hope there are readers out there who will consider it enough for the simple enjoyment of storytelling. 

If at any time you should find yourself confused with so many intricate character histories, I have provided a helpful chart that tracks each character's traits and progression at the end of each life. It is there to use at any point during each life to enhance the reader's experience. 

I would love to take this moment to thank you for reading this novel and if you could take a moment to review my book where you purchased it, I would be extremely appreciative. Reviews are essential to independent authors like me and even one or two comments can do wonders for my series' exposure. 

Prologue 

Disharmonious, chopped sounds surround me as I fly through darkness. Lights flash far away in liquid black, as if I'm looking up from the ocean floor, the sun streaming through the distant surface. I speed nearer toward the light, which glares brilliantly with painless intensity. I absorb it through every pore. I crave getting closer to it, to penetrate farther, deeper-saturating me in a peace I never knew existed. 

I find myself standing trail-edge in a forest, looking out across an expansive clearing with an island of wheat fields before me. The light is golden and glowing off the fields and a warm breeze causes the wheat and trees to roll like seaweed in strong current. I release the grip of my hand that Ellie was just clutching. 

Am I having another morphine dream? Did I slip into a coma? Where am I? 

A figure moves toward me, out of the pulsing light.