Escape (a short story) #SciFriday

I squeezed the car door handle with all my might. Turning my head was a slow and dizzying motion. I couldn't focus. My eyes hurt and everything looked blurry. Where was I? What's happening? I tried to look at the person in the drivers seat, but my eyes wouldn't adjust.

"Megan? Are you all right?" The guy in the drivers seat asked.

"Where are we going?" I barley pronounced the words.

"We're going to the Caring For The Forgotten (CFF) headquarters. You sure your alright?"

"I'm fine. Sorry." My head was swimming and I couldn't think straight. I felt so tired. I closed my eyes and tried to clear my jumbled thoughts. Who was this guy? Why can't I remember anything? I kept my eyes tightly shut until we arrived at-to my assumptions-the CFF headquarters. Once the car stopped, the guy opened my door. I tried to stand up but I couldn't support myself and fell. The guy quickly caught me before I landed face first in the cement. "I'm sorry." I said while gasping for breaths and holding my head.

"It's all right Megan. I know what your going through." He said seeming concerned.

"What do you mean?"

"I know the troubles you are having. The doctor here can help you." Before I could ask him what he meant, he lifted me, and carried me into the building.

The CFF headquarters was bigger on the inside than it looked from the outside. The guy carried me to a seat next to the front desk. He said I had to sit there and wait while he checked is in. He walked up to a counter across from me and started talking to a woman at the desk.

"What's your name?" She asked him.

"Dean Mantz." The woman gasped and glanced at me.

"You had to bring her back again? I'll let the doctor know you're here." She hurriedly started typing on a tablet. "Dean, if you will take a seat and wait for your name to be called. I'm sure the Doctor will be ready for you shortly." Dean walked over and sat down next to me.

"I've been here before?" I asked Dean.

"Yeah. The doctor will explain it all."

I sighed and leaned back against the chair. My head ached horribly bad. I decided that I wouldn't bother Dean With all my questions about what was going on.

"Dean, the doctor is ready to see you." The lady said. Dean asked me if I could walk or if he needed to carry me. I told him that I could walk on my own. Dean helped steady me as I walked towards a door. At the door the lady from the front desk opened it for us. The door had concealed a long hallway with multiple passageways. We followed her until we came to a steal door. She knocked three times and said it was his patient. He replied in a loud voice, telling us to come in. The lady opened the door for us and left. Dean helped guide me into the room. Across from the door was a metal desk with an older man behind it. I assumed he was the doctor.

"Megan, how have you been?" The doctor asked.

"I don't know. I can't remember anything." The doctor told Dean to wait outside.

"What's wrong with me?" I asked when Dean left. "Why can't I remember anything? Why Is my head hurting so badly?" I almost started crying. I was confused and couldn't understand why anything was happening. I just wanted someone to explain everything.

"Megan, you will never be able to remember anything for too long. You have a case of short term memory due to an experiment you partook in."

"What do you mean?"

"Two years ago, you took a pill scientists claimed would help your health. Once you swallowed the pill, it released Microbots. The bots were built to fight anything threatening to your body. The bots were built too strongly and they considered your brain a threat. You are having problems because these bots are slowly killing your brain." He said everything so bluntly I thought he was joking.

"What do I have to do to stop the 'Microbots'" I asked half believing.

"You need to fight them back." I didn't think I was in the right condition to fight some imaginary robots.

"I need proof." I said

"Proof? Of what?" He asked

"Proof that I actually did this."

"You always do." He said. He handed me a video tape labeled 'Megan Mantz' and told me to watch it as soon as Dean took me home.

"How do I fight them?" I asked.

"Close your eyes and focus. Focus on finding a way to escape their grip on your mind."