Chapter 1 ~ Mom

I didn't think I would have to go through it again.

I finally bonded with a family again, until they became my own. Just me, Arthur, Jean (who I called mom), Kathy, and Bobby. We had a nice house, nice backyard, and we were happy. Were. The thing was, Kathy hated me since the day I arrived and I didn't know why. Bobby told me that she was jealous that I got more attention, but I'm 21 now, what is there to be jealous about? The fact that I still live with our parents? Yup, child of the year award. Plus, she's gorgeous. If anything, I'm jealous of her. Even if she is 16.

"Hey, don't drink coffee, it'll stunt your growth." Arthur jokes, pointing at my cup. "Oh, like you, Arthur?" I tease. "Exactly, don't wanna end up like him." Mom says. I smile as Bobby and Kathy play in the yard, and a weird energy surges through me, and I sit there holding my stomach. It's happened before, so I knew to expect something bad... I just didn't expect THIS to happen.

...

"Mom!" I yell, trying to run into the house. I couldn't lose another mom. Arthur grabs me around my waist, crying even himself.

Months later

"So listen kids..." Arthur starts, as I walk into the kitchen. "Oops I just walked into family time." I say turning around and into the doorway. "No no no, if I have to listen, so do you." Maggie says, pulling me back in. "And he already explained it to us when the lawyer came." Bobby says. I look up in surprise. "They're not making us move again, are they?" I ask. "No, it's about something else... You remember Cyrus, my uncle, right?" "Oh yeah, Cyrus the freak, right?" I say, making Bobby laugh. "No. He's not a freak, he's just a little bit..." Arthur trails off. "Okay maybe he is... But he put me in the will for his house. And well... We are going to check it out later." He says. "So we are moving..." Everyone groans, having gone through this already. "Wait, how did you know about him before we did?" Kathy asks, staring me down. "And I thought you only met him once." Maggie says too, crossing her arms. "Well- I mean I may have exaggerated a teensy bit..." He says. "A teensy bit? You let the orphan meet the family before us. Your real children, remember?" Kathy asks. "Kathy, will you get over the damn thing? She's lived with us for long enough, you should be used to it by now." Arthur snaps, making the room go suddenly silent. "We are leaving soon. Get ready." He says quietly, so we all finish breakfast and whatever else there is in the kitchen, and head our separate ways to get ready for the day.

"Are we there yet?" I ask teasingly, poking Arthur from behind his seat. It had been a quiet ride aside from the occasional talk between Maggie and Bobby. "No Izelia, we are not." Arthur replies, finding it hard to keep his cool. He lets out a breath, and chuckles. "You children are insane." He says quietly. "Are we there now?" I ask, just to annoy him. Everyone in the car laughs. "Yes in fact, we are." He says following the lawyers car, and turning into the driveway of the beautiful glass house. Wait- glass? "Oh great, pedophiles and murderers everywhere." I say rolling my eyes playfully. "What's a pedophile?" Bobby asks. I resist the urge to laugh. "A bad word. Don't listen to your sister." Arthur says. "'Sister.' Right." Kathy says pushing the car door open. A man in a orange jumpsuit and a flashlight- no not a prison jumpsuit- catches my eye immediately, both because he's stalking our house, and because his suit is practically glowing. "Um excuse me, while my family is trying to access our new house, I would appreciate you stop poking around at it, and tell me just who exactly you are?" I ask raising an eyebrow, barely visible due to the darkness of the area. "The name's Dennis. I just so happen to be an electrician inspecting this house, which is practically draining the power of the entire country. But since it's my job to discover what is wrong with the power, I suppose you scoot back over to your little happy fun family time, and come back tomorrow. I can't risk ANOTHER family getting electrocuted due to a faulty wire." He says to me, making me raise an eyebrow. "I think not. I mean we drove practically the whole damn day to get here, just to appear in this glass creeper house, only to be sassed by some prissy little electrician boy." I say to him, walking angrily back to my 'little happy' family's car, and grabbing my camera. So what? What's a little photoshoot of our house gonna do?

Upon walking in, of course orange dude is looking fine. Ok I'm totally kidding, he's a total douche. Ok, I guess he's still attractive as hell. Ok I've been single for WAY too long. I'm really trying for the electrician? Dang girl, you need help.

"Alright, so this is the house, and that's the hot electrician." I tell Maggie jokingly, making her let out a high volumed "Ooh! Y'all better hope you got electricity problems some time soon!" She says it too loudly though, and I shoot her a look so terrible, she'd have dropped dead if looks could kill.

"Orange is really his colour though. Go get some." She says poking me in the arm. "Oh Maggie, you can never be normal can you?" I ask rolling my eyes. "Nope. Crazy white people thinkin' you got, in there." She teases, poking my forehead.

Oh brother.