Alexandria

She had the row to herself and quite liked it. She always put her bag in the seat next to her and could have her notebook and textbook sprawled out as she pleased. She was immensely introverted, fueling her desire to be earlier than everyone else so as to avoid glances as she walked in. Today it was thankfully only Peter and another girl she didn't know that would witness her take her seat.  She looked extra thoughtfully at Peter today wondering what his life might be like. She often wondered about things and daydreamed incessantly. She wondered what it was like to be a bird at the fountain or to be extremely rich, or to be an extremely rich bird. The fact was, if she willed it in her mind it was made so in her mind, but outside her head the world would will her instead. She was constantly bullied when she was young and had no one, but her best friend, Viola. Her family always hated everyone else, and everyone else hated her because of her family. There was no common ground where she could find a safe haven besides with Viola. Her family wanted her to be homeschooled away from the others, but her mother grew quite ill and her father was never really involved in her life from the start. Her mother loved Alexandria dearly, and her father loved her too but he always seemed distant from the family.  Alexandria lived with her Aunt Ethel, her cousins Briar and Genesis, and her mother, Adelia. The Tower family always seemed to have girls and the girls always insisted that their last name be taken instead of the husband's to keep the bloodline known. Her father was mostly out of town for long periods of time and would only come around for a week or so a month at most. She thought Peter looked a bit like her dad when he was younger. Dark hair, with dark, intense eyes. He had dark, thick eyebrows as well, and always looked as though he was focusing on something important, but knowing Peter, he most likely thought everything was important enough to focus on. He was a bit pale and had a few, light freckles on his nose and cheeks. His lips were bright pink and he always smiled- that part wasn't that much like her father she thought. She knew he had a crush on her a long time ago, but she assumed it was because he was a bit naive in character back then, and even a little now. She'd have liked to be friends with him, but knew her family would go berzerk.
Just then Professor Porter walked in and began speaking, waking Alexandria from her daydreaming. She then realized that the whole class had made their way into the room without her noticing. She happened to like Professor Porter but she remained in the back, not only because of her reserved nature, but also partly due to the fact that Professor Porter had a horrible lisp that sprayed the front row. It also didn't help that his title had not one, but two Ps in it.
After all her classes, Alexandria took the bus back to town at about 3:30. The bus only had two stop off locations- one in town and one at school. So Alexandria still had to make her 3 mile trek to her house located on the outskirts of town. As she walked, she looked up directly at the sky, trying to keep her balance as she went. She wondered what looking at the sky was like halfway across the world right now. Whenever she looked at the sky, she often felt that the realization of the vastness of the universe in unison with our own, everyday lives brought about a sensation of togetherness that is often ignored when all we have to tend to keeps our heads down, and so we stay separated. She liked to record these kinds of thoughts in her notebook, but on days like these when the air was fresh and the weather complimented her being, there tended to be so many of them that she just let them flow freely through her mind.
It was a little past 4:00 when she found herself walking down the empty highway and rounded the corner of trees to the right onto the path that would take her to her house. She walked on the dirt path past the 'hidden entrance' sign, past the long expanse of autumn-colored trees, and up to the circle driveway in front of her house. The house was quite sizeable, not that Alexandria could tell seeing as there were so many people living inside it. The house itself was made mostly out of stone and was placed in a rather serene location with a sparkling pond, tons of flowers growing around stone arches and benches near the house, and a little cottage out in a field of tall grass. Alexandria spent most of her time in the cottage and that's exactly where she headed the minute she caught sight of it. The cottage was also stone and had lots of vines growing up the sides of it. On the inside held all of Alexandria's books and papers, a little wooden desk, a big, stuffed yellow chair in the corner, and a window seat with lots of worn pillows and a quilt folded on top. In the summer Alexandria would open up both windows to let the breeze in, and in the winter she would use the fireplace that was older than time to warm herself up. She spent a lot of time with Viola in the cottage, and as she walked in she saw her familiar figure sitting in the chair reading a book.
"Well hello, old friend." she directed toward Viola as she sat her bag on the little wooden chair by her desk
Viola looked up reluctantly from her book, still trying to finish the page as she spoke, "Fancy seeing you here- couldn't bear to see me this morning?" She referred to the fact that Alexandria usually had breakfast and a morning chat with her before taking off for the day, but she couldn't sleep well last night and decided to take off a bit early. She had a bedroom up at the big house, but she usually spent late nights in front of her desk or on the window bench finishing homework or a good story. Often times Viola would reside in the yellow chair reading or writing as Alexandria worked- the two fell asleep in the cottage together most nights than not.
"I needed some fresh air this morning. If I had known I needed your permission, I might have asked first." She replied sarcastically, although Viola may describe her tone as unfeeling.
Viola gave a short, "Hmph." before returning to her book scoldingly.
"What is it you're reading today?" Alexandria asked knowing Viola wouldn't be able to stop herself from telling her all about it. Viola was tragically kind-hearted and feeling. She was never one for sarcasm, always taking things for what they were as who she was. She could be a bit prissy and passive, but she never missed a beat on what others were feeling, for she was an entirely compassionate girl. Alexandria always thought of her as an angel, with her tiny freckled nose, hazel eyes, and soft blonde hair she definitely looked the part. Today she wore a teresa green dress with pearly white buttons down the front to her mid-thigh. She was undeniably beautiful. 
"Stranger in a Strange Land," she answered, "Do you think a man raised on Mars would be attractive?" Viola seemed genuinely curious, which made Alexandria laugh.
"I think it probably depends more on what he looks like." Alexandria replied bluntly with a giggle hidden in her eyes.
"That's not what I mean," she remarked frustrated, "Do you think he'd wind up crazy or stupid? Do you think the gravity would deform him?" Viola was a bit like Alexandria in terms of the extent of her curiosity.
"I think he's probably very wise from having the vantage point he had up on Mars, which would make him undoubtedly attractive." Alexandria had already read that book, and thought about it quite often. She thought the idea that we're all God was interesting.
Viola shut the book, finally able to peel her eyes away from the pages. "Tell me about your day." Viola insisted with a smile. She could be quite motherly and wise.
"Oh you know," Alexandria replied, "same old, same old." She wasn't particularly thrilled with her parents having her go to a local college because she would have to see all the people who bullied her in highschool. Actually, her parents didn't want her to attend college at all, insisting that all she needed was at home, so Alexandria was already pushing it going to college at all. However, she didn't think she could ever really leave Viola and the little cottage even if her parents permitted her.
"You should do school at home like me," Viola insisted for what seemed the hundredth time this week, "I think you would like it better than being there with all those people. You could read whatever you wanted and study whatever you like." Viola was a bit biased like the rest of her family when it came to the outside world. They all lived in their perfect hideaway in the forest, away from all the people. It was true that she could in fact stay home for the rest of her life- her parents had the money to give her luxury and Alexandria didn't like other people much either, but, above all, she had a love for the classroom and for the world around her. It just felt natural to go to college- at least it felt that way to her anyway.
"I do like what I study, and I can read whatever I want in my spare time," Alexandria explained, "I like school and I like getting out of the house- unlike you vampires."
"You can get out of the house here too," Viola argued, "there's plenty of space to roam and think."
"I like a change of scenery once and a while." Alexandria said, "A break from you lot can be quite beneficial believe it or not."
"Well I don't care then. Do what you will." Viola retorted, ending the conversation.
Alexandria knew Viola was most interested in protecting her. There were many days when she came home crying because of the terrible things the other kids would say. Viola hated that she had to suffer through boring teachers, an unprovoking education, and mean kids around every corner when she could've very well stayed home with her and read books in the cottage, did paintings of the pond, and had picnics everyday together.
"College isn't like the other schools," Alexandria tried to explain, "There's a lot more people there, and a lot of different kinds of people. Those kids never really take a second glance at me anymore." She was referring to the bullies that she knew Viola was quietly worried about.
"If you say so," Viola replied hesitantly. They stayed silent for a moment.
"So when is the bonfire this year?" Viola asked excitedly.
Alexandria was thankful for the subject change and said, "I think next weekend. I don't know if I'll go though."
"What? It's your first Fall Bonfire as a student. Isn't that like tradition? Even Briar and Genesis go." Viola was clearly surprised at Alexandria's hesitancy.
"It's just always the same thing. Families hang out until 9 then once all the kids and parents leave, everybody gets wasted if they aren't already doing so in the woods." Alexandria replied dryly.
"Well that's the point of tradition- it's always the same." Viola said nonchalantly, "Besides I wanted you to show me all your classes."
"Fine. I will for you, but I'm leaving once people start getting drunk." Alexandria said finally.
"That sounds like a good plan." Viola stated, also wanting to avoid gross encounters with drunken college students.
"Until then- I'll be doing this homework." Alexandria said as she sat down to her desk and pulled out three textbooks.
"That's boring. I'm going to sit out and read if you need me." Viola exhaled as she sat up from her chair and closed the door softly behind her.
Once she left Alexandria sighed heavily as she stared out the window from her desk. She rested her head on her hand and contemplated all the homework she had to finish this week- it was only Monday. It seemed periodically that all five of her classes had their tests the same week, which gave her no time to do anything besides study. This saddened her because she relied heavily upon her routines to keep her sane, so when things changed it always seemed to mess with her subconscious. She figured there was no time to waste daydreaming and got busy studying, although she would inevitably find her mind drifting as her eyes scanned over page after page.