Chapter 2: A New Start

Maria woke up to the sound of a police siren. Many police cars pass by her house almost every day, due to other people around the area and what they like to get up to. One foot followed by the other, Maria managed to rise out of her bed and walk down stairs. With no central heating in the house, Maria and her mother had a supply of plugged in radiators. Her clothes were neatly presented at the bottom of her bed and her school books. It was indeed the first day at high school and the start of a new beginning.

After getting changed into a pair of shorts and a flannel t-shirt, as well as a pair of brogues, Maria rushed into the kitchen. She ran in to find a plate full of hot pancakes, topped off with chocolate and a couple of strawberries. As she move the dining chair to sit, she accidentally scratched the laminate flooring with the chair leg.

Chew, chew, chew, swallow.

A world record must have taken place in the Weasly household as Maria ate the pancakes in less than 10 seconds!

Opening the modern front door, Maria stepped outside. It was still raining as it always does where she lived, the horrible town of Holesworth. She had about 6 minutes to get to the nearest bus stop which was just across the the road from were she lived. Her small feet patted along the autumn leaves that laid on the hard concrete. Finally sitting herself down on the bench she waited for a couple of minuets.

The number 29 bus appeared from around the corner of the road, Maria then held out her arm to signal. The huge doors of the bus swung open and a large man sat in the drivers seat waiting for his next victim.

"What do you want, a day rider, a single, or a mega rider, the choice is yours," said the man. Maria asked for a day rider, one bus there and one bus back. She handed him her money and received her ticket. There was only one seat available on the bus and this was next to a boy named James. Maria walked slowly towards him, feeling nervous, and then finally sat herself down next to him. She was fidgeting with her fingers a little as she was a very nervous and shy kind of girl.

"Hey, my names James, and you must be..." he paused for a moment, trying to remember her name "...Maria, yeah that's it!"

"Oh hi James, it's nice to meet you"

There was an awkward silence.

The bus stopped just outside of the school gates. All of the children exited and ran over to their group of friends. Maria on the other hand had nobody to go to, she had no friends, and no one to go to.

"Hey Maria, why don't you hang around with me today? I don't mind and I think we have the same classes today," explained James as he picked out his timetable from his pocket. Scrolling down her timetable, Maria nodded and agreed with him. Together they walked to their first class (mathematics) as the school bell rang.

Inside the school building were many people and staff, overall there were 2000 people -not including the teachers. In front of the main door were two large stairways, one leading to the first floor and the other leading to the second floor. All of the walls were different colours depending on what lessons they represent. The English department had pink walls,

Science had dark blue walls,

Mathematics had purple walls,

Humanities had green walls,

PE had light blue walls,

Social science had maroon walls,

Drama, art, music and D&T had orange walls.

At least this way no one will get lost while trying to find the right classroom.

As Maria walked to math she thought to herself. "What if I had a new start, at this new school and maybe even move houses. Okay maybe not the moving house part though." Maria decided that this was the best thing to do.

It's time for a new start!