Giggle

Hi. My name is Matt. This is my story.

Back when I was about 12 years old, my family and I used to live in Hemson. It’s a small town really. Just about 200 people live there and everything was peaceful and quiet.

Every child there disliked to be my friend for some reason. I just didn’t know why. The only probably I made there was probably Rick.

Rick is younger than me. I think he was 8 years old. His life seems to be a bit sad. His dad’s gone, his mom is always crying, and like me, every other child ignored him too.

At first he was really fun to be with. Every morning he knocks on our door to ask me to come play with him outside. Sometime he pranks me by knocking on the door and then hides in the bushes.  I always play with him since it’s been a long time since I played with a friend. I can easily find him though since he giggles when I come out confused.

A few weeks later while my family were going back to our house from the church, we passed by the cemetery. We saw Rick’s mom weeping in front of a tombstone. My parents stopped the car and went to Rick’s mom. I tried to comfort her and said that her husband was in a better place and you know, what people always tell to sad people.

I expected a thank you or a smile but instead she cried even harder. My parents gave me a look like I did something wrong. What did I do wrong? I just comforted her. I was very confused.

My parents talked to Rick’s mom too and then went back to the car. While I was walking towards the car, I took a glance to Rick’s still crying mother. What was carved in the tombstone caught my eye.     

    R.I.P.

Rick Davis

1991-1999

 I didn’t talk about it with anyone else. I just can’t believe that my friend is a ghost.

The next morning, there it is. The knock on the door. I looked through the peephole and saw Rick. I didn’t open the door and I never told him to go away. I stayed in my room for the rest of the day.

Around 9pm, I was about to sleep and was lying on the bed thinking of what is happening in my life. I shut my eyes and tried to sleep. But I couldn’t. The unnerving sound of something or someone scratching my window prevents me from sleeping. The sounds eventually stops sometimes and the deafening silence will be all over the place. I guess that was okay since it makes me sleep peacefully.

Finally! This nightmare will be over as soon as I get transferred to another school in Remway.

I packed my things hastily and ran for the car. As I bid goodbye to my parents, I saw rick from far away. His expression was sad but at the same time angry. His stare was like threatening to kill me.

2 months has passed since and I didn’t hear about Rick anymore. I’m happy here in Remway. I have a lot of new friends and my Uncle is very caring for me. This is the day that my parents would come visit me here since forever. I’m so excited to meet them again!

As I heard a car park outside, I excitedly opened the door. It was not my parent’s car, it was my neighbor’s.

Then I heard a giggle.