Chapter 1

"Life Is Short, Focus On What Matters And Let Go Of What Doesn't Focus On The Important" -Unknown

Nicole Egypt Brooks.

"Nicole it's good to know your still coming to the guest dinner this evening darling," My mother spoke into the phone.

I rolled my eyes at how proper she tried to sound."Yeah. I can't wait it's going to be a blast," I replied sarcastically.

She gasped."Please don't use such childish words," I shook my head at her comment.

"Ma I gotta go work is calling me," I lied.

"Okay sweetheart have a wonderful da-" I hung up not wanting to hear her mouth any longer.

Since my mother married that white man it's like she changed and is dragging everyone in my family along with her. Take my big brother Malik for example he was the clown of the family but now he's married and apart of the big happy family going to the rich couple for money. My sister Mira she's right along with them her boyfriend my ex Derrick. They aren't married as yet but I know he's on the verge of it by the way he looks into her eyes and the way she looks into his. I don't know if he does this to make me jealous or because he really loves her but it does deep down break my heart.

I refuse to tell my sister that Derrick was my ex to ruin her happiness what me and Derrick had in the past can stay and rest there, what happened in the past don't need to be brought back to the future plus it was 3 years ago.

Beep ! Beep ! Beep !

I reached my hand over turning off the alarm clock continuing to stare up at the ceiling.

"Here goes a day at that hell hole," I mumbled sitting up on my bed fixing my head tie on my head not wanting my freshly wrapped hair I combed the night before to fall out of place.

Skipping down the stairs I took out the frying pan listening to the quiet house not expecting a sound since I live alone.

I cracked a couple of eggs roughly stirring them at the side of a small bowl with a fork turning on my iPod shuffle with my left hand not liking the silence in my house "Drunk In Love" by Beyoncé played.

"I've been drinking, I've been drinking I get filthy when that liquor get into me I've been thinking, I've been thinking why can't I keep my fingers off it, baby? I want you, na na why can't I keep my fingers off it, baby? I want you, na na cigars on ice, cigars on ice feeling like an animal with these cameras all in my grill flashing lights, flashing lights!" I sung aloud to myself.

I began to add black pepper and salt to my eggs scrabbling them up in the pan.

"We be all night loveeeee!" I sung off key.

Frying some bacon in another pan, turning off the pan with the eggs I began taking in the stomach growling scent.

"Then I fill the tub up halfway then ride it with my surfboard, surfboard, surfboard graining on that wood, graining, graining on that wood I'm swerving on that, swerving, swerving on that big body been serving all this, swerve, surfing all in this good, good!" I held the spatula up in the air rotating my lower body to the beat.

Chuckling at what I just did I placed my plate on the island with a cup of coffee walking towards the front door picking up the newspaper, looking up I could feel my neighbors stare on me.

I politely smiled and waved walking back inside locking the door turning off the music. I sat by my plate opening the news paper reading the front page.

"Jokes on Ebola?"

I sighed and flipped through the pages. It was sad how people didn't take Ebola seriously some took it way too seriously if I had enough money I would've donated some but I'm not a billionaire. I did at least donate a small amount to show my respect.