Anxious - Chapter 1

By the nighttime, the entire world was hellish.

Christine had been kind enough to share her previously rented hotel room for Erik, as she didn't want any suspicion drawn to your name... however, you couldn't shake an uneasy feeling about her spending the night with him. Especially since you were unable to keep him company.

But it was only one night, right? And besides. You trusted Erik with your life– and Christine had been quite kind to you. So, naturally, your worries were soon relieved. It helped even more when you remembered that Le Vicomte was spending the night with her (as they were... well, married now), and the two definitely seemed to be all over each other the moment they had seen each other again.

Poor Erik was too exhausted to comprehend what was going on.

There had also been a cold breeze that had accompanied you on the way back to the opera house... it didn't help that it was much later at night, either, as you were both exhausted and the temperatures dropped even more.

As much as you loved autumn, you really weren't pleased... especially considering how cold your toes and fingers felt.

Meg had gone back quite early, simply because her baby had been quite active, and to your surprise... Matthew asked to stay behind with you. Not that it was a bad thing, of course, but it seemed a little peculiar– considering how he really seemed present for Meg, considering the fact that it seemed like nobody else would be willing to step up to the position. Even Antoine.

But it was soon clear why he had wanted to talk with you soon enough.

"[Y/N]..." he began, staring at the cobblestone lining the streets before he spoke. The hazy moonlight reflecting off of it seemed to be the most interesting thing in the world to him, at the moment. His eyes locked on a couple of leaves quivering and blowing in the wind as he tried to think of what he should say... and then he stalled for a few moments. Again. "Are you cold? Here."

Before you could respond, he had stopped walking... and naturally, you did the same, although you wanted to get back before you could freeze up so quickly. He was quick to maneuver himself out of his coat before draping it over your shoulders, flashing you a pitiful smile as he did so.

"It's almost like old times, isn't it?" he asked, his lips breaking into a small smile as he continued forward. There was a whistle from another breeze, though neither one of you flinched. "When I would walk you back from work..."

You gave a soft nod and gentle chuckle, feeling your face sting with a numbness as you continued forward. A few leaves crunched under your feet, but that was alright... truth be told, you hadn't realized it was this late in the year. It had something to do with how busy the streets were, you were certain– as you couldn't even see the floors, and they were unable to clean the streets whatsoever... thus, why it seemed more evident now than ever.

"I really... I just wanted to apologize," he said, as if just blurting out what he had felt so guilty about. "For not being here for you."

You stopped in your tracks– and, naturally, he did too. You looked him straight in those cornflower of his, which caught the moonlight beautifully, and you watched as worry etched on his face.

You shook your head.

"What the hell are you talking about, Matthew?" you asked, almost mimicking his expression. Since when had he been so worried about this? And– more importantly– why was he so worried about this? "You've been here for me more than anyone else, mon ami. So please. Don't beat yourself up over it–"

"But I've been really distracted recently," he said, sticking his hands into his pockets as he began to stroll forward again.

"It doesn't matter," you chuckled, shaking your head as the wind tossed your hair a little. "Distracted or not, you've been a great help during this time."