Prolouge

"Todoroki." A faint voice spoke above a whisper, gently. "Shoto Todoroki." The same voice spoke again, only urgent this time. "Hello? Can you hear me?" The question arose concern, and the hotheaded boy finally lifted his head free from the darkness that crept around him. He blinked twice, and rubbed his eyes, one hand scathing over his scar. "I'm awake." He muttered softly, but sounded in no way close to being sure of himself. "Thank god. Are you okay? You aren't looking well, Todoroki." Concern leaked through the voice, coming to focus. Todoroki shook his head, letting his hair fall haphazardlessly across his forehead to cover his tear-swollen eyes. "I'm fine." The muffled grunt that came after made it clear he had no interest to talk. "I was just making sure, you know I care. We are friends, after all, aren't we?" Todoroki blinked again, a moment of hesitation like venom to his veins. "Yes, I'm sorry, Midoriya. I'm fine. Just...thinking." Another moment of silence, and the boy in front of Todoroki smiles, crossing his arms. "I'm happy to hear that. I trust that you'd tell me otherwise. Come on, it's time for lunch!" He started to walk away, a smile still glued to his freckled face.

Izuku Midoriya. That was his name. A sweet, unlucky boy with a knack for getting into trouble with the practical school bully, Katsuki Bakugou. Although Midoriya was born quirkless from a very young age, his love for heroes and dream for becoming one happened to be the exact motivation he needed. Months after getting into U.A, Izuku had mysteriously gained a quirk with little to no explanation, which in turn became very powerful and a force to be reckoned with. It was with utmost curiousity that Shoto had become friends with the green-haired, hard working child, and as it turns out, lead them to become best friends. Shoto never spent his days making friends, or inviting people into his inner circle, however something about Midoriya struck a nerve. Maybe it was because his father was so stuck up his own ass that he could care more for a weapon of destruction as a son, or maybe it was because of the lack of a father figure in Midoriya's life, but they had become extremely close in a short amount of time. The only person Shoto spent most of his time training with, hanging out with, or focusing on, was in fact Midoriya.

"Todoroki." The soft voice again, more eager this time, broke through his concentration. Shoto turned his attention to the boy who he could only associate with broccoli, and chuckled softly. "I apologize, again, Midoriya. I've once again lost control of my thoughts." He looked almost defeated, exhausted. "It's okay, Todoroki, I get it. You've been training a lot harder than usual lately. Is everything okay at home?" A moment of stricken silence, and Midoriya lifted his hands quickly, bowing his head over and over. "I'm so sorry! It's not my place to ask! I didn't mean to get into your business! Please forgive my negligence." Shoto shrugged, smirking. "It's fine, Midoriya. You didn't mean to. I've spent most of my time training, yes. But anything is better than being home with the beast of burden. I'm going to surpass my own limits, so I never have to be like Endeavor." Silence again. Midoriya loosened his muscles and dropped his shoulders, quiet. It was too quiet. Midoriya picked up his tray, after his lunch had been placed on it, and turned to Todoroki once more. "If you want, after school, we can train some more. I still have a lot of improving to do, and I wouldn't mind having you as a sparring partner." Without saying a word, Shoto gave a short nod, lifted his tray, and turned on his heels. "Let's go eat."

It had only been moments before the two boys started to move, when everything seemed to slow. Just as Midoriya was going to take another step to the closest table, tragedy struck. "Move it, nerd." A quick, short and agitated sentence everyone feared. Midoriya stopped dead in his tracks, one foot half off the floor, and started to sweat. The entire lunchroom fell silent, and the students stared. No one dared move. "I said move it." The voice grew agitated, huskier. Midoriya didn't move a single muscle, and almost forgot to breathe. More silence. Shoto squeezed his slender fingers against his tray, gritting his teeth. "Bakugou." Short. Sweet. To the point. The blonde, spiky haired punk lifted his nose, turning his head to Shoto. "What do you want, Icyhot?" Shoto grimaced, but held his stance. "Back away from Midoriya. Or we are going to have a problem." The blonde smirked, showing his teeth, almost bearing them. "Oh, is Icyhot defending his boyfriend?" The room felt thick without sound, it was almost like every one of the students had stopped breathing all at once. Stunned. Scared. It was a mix of feelings among the lunch room. Even the teachers had stopped to focus on the scene before them. Not a word was spoken. "Say it again, Bakugou." A threat? Likely. Almost begging the agitated male to make the first move. "Todoroki, don't-" He was cut short, when the male who originally confronted him; shoved him forward. This abrupt movement caused Midoriya to drop his tray, food scattering across the once clean white tiles. A couple students gasped, and the teachers leaned forward, patiently waiting, but didn't make a sound. "And what are you going to do about it, if I touch him again, Icyhot?" Wrong move.

It had almost felt like an eternity before anyone moved. Shocked silence, scared students, and looks that could kill. Todoroki dropped his tray at the table closest to his hip, took Midoriya's hand and pulled him to the side. "Don't move. Don't say a word. Don't stop me." Very clear, simple instructions even Shoto knew Midoriya could not follow. After all, the boy hated conflict. Everyone knew Shoto did very well to keep his composure, but stress; lack of sleep and hatred pushed him beyond his limits today. He had finally had enough. And Bakugou would no longer be the school bully. Without another word or so much as a gesture of a white flag, Todoroki pounced. It was game over. With a swift left hook, the red and white haired male swung, an unguarded blonde forced to throw his head back and grunt, causing him to drop to a knee and cough. The pain of contact surged into Shoto's fist, spidering into his wrist and arm. He winced slightly, shook his hand free to distract himself, and took a single step forward. "What the hell? You're gonna regret this!" Bakugou smirked, wiped his lip, and spat when he talked. He got up, dusted his knee, and took a step toward shoto, menacingly. Shoto didn't budge, didn't move a muscle, and waited, patiently. As Bakugou lifted his arm to return the favor, he gripped Todoroki by the color of his uniform, and growled, showing his teeth in a snarl. Shoto didn't move, but instead smirked. "Do you think you scare me, Bakugou? I've had quite enough of your childish games. Leave him alone. You'll never become a pro hero if you behave as disgustingly as you do now. It's a shame you weren't raised to behave." Bakugou faltered for just a moment, almost stunned. Did he really just say that? Before Bakugou had a moment to react, his arm was grabbed by another student, and he was jolted back a few steps, causing Todoroki to get loosened and released. "Bakugou, we need to go. That's not cool, man. The last thing you need is to be expelled. Your mother would be pissed. I promised her I would look after you." A soft, pleasant voice broke the silence, a tenderness only shown to Bakugou. Before Midoriya and Todoroki stood a semi-tanned, shark-toothed boy. With red eyes that could smolder your heart, and spiked up red hair to match. Eijiro Kirishima. The closest friend Bakugou had, even though he hated to admit it. "We need to walk away." His voice was stern this time, but Shoto didn't falter, and neither did Bakugou. Kirishima lifted Bakugou's hand and tugged, dragging the angry boy away from Midoriya and Todoroki to avoid any more trouble. The teachers moved quickly, separating crowd that started to form around the four boys. "Everyone get back to eating. Lunch is almost over. Nothing to see here. Please return to your tables. Fighting will not be tolerated on school grounds."

Todoroki realized today would be the day his life turned around. But would it be for better, or worse?