𝙄 𝙥𝙧𝙤𝙢𝙞𝙨𝙚, 𝙄'𝙢 𝙩𝙧𝙮𝙞𝙣𝙜!

Chapter 6: I promise, I'm trying!

Rue slowly opened her eyes, letting out a soft groan while doing so. What she first saw was the other girl sleeping peacefully beside her. 

Their legs were intertwined, Rue's hands were resting on Ashley's waist, whilst her hands were gently holding them. Rue beamed at the sight of the few months older girl. She hugged her tighter, nuzzling her hair and closing her eyes. 

Ashley felt warm.

Sunlight was lazily drifting in through the window, causing Rue to open her eyes once more. The grip on her waist became less tight. Rue tried to move her hands, so she could reach her phone, but the other girl only held her hands with more pressure, letting out a whine, blatantly a sign of protest.

 A soft smile formed on Rue's lips.

"Ashley?" 

Ashley didn't move an inch. 

Rue stroked her hands. 

"Ashley?" she rasped louder. 

Ashley half-opened her eyes. She was still firmly holding the brown-eyed girl's hands. 

She turned around, at a slow pace, so she could face Rue. 

She looked at the girl and smiled. She quickly rubbed her eyes. 

"What time is it?" 

Rue reached out her hand, while the other was intertwined with Ashley's hand, and swiftly took her phone. 

"Quite late. Roughly 1 pm," she answered, her voice raspy.

Ashley hummed, nodding her head. "I guess we gotta get up?"

"I— well, whatever you want," she replied, shrugging her shoulders. 

Staring at Rue's deep brown eyes, Ashley realized that she might have let herself get too close. 

She was sure that friends didn't act that way.

Friends didn't stare at each other like that. 

Friends didn't touch each other like that. 

Friends didn't smile at each other like that.