Levi's Smile

Corporal Levi and his squad were in trouble and he knew it. They were in a grove of the "big ass trees" far from the walls, completely surrounded by titans. The small group only had a couple blades and a little gas between them, there was no way they could escape like that. Their horses were long gone, scared off by the mass of swarming titans clawing and climbing the trees, empty eyes glaring hungrily up at them.

        He turned to his comrades. There was Jaeger, looking pissed off and ready to transform into a titan in an instance. Not like even that would help anymore, they was just too many. Right by Eren's side was Mikasa, the girl who was worth one hundred soldiers. She held up very well in the past intense battle, Levi was impressed. Then there was Armin, the quiet weaker one. But what he didn't have in strength he made up for in brains, he could strategize better than anyone. In the tree next to the one Levi was currently standing was where Jean the horse-face, the potato girl Sasha and Connie had come to rest. They were good soldiers and always kept the atmosphere light. A few jokes now and then were greatly appreciated.

        And finally Historia, the would-be queen. It all revolved on her and Eren getting back to the safety of the walls. If either of them were killed or captured it would mean very big problems for humanity. Levi had to get them back if it was the last thing he did. He looked over the exhausted group once more. He had to get them all back. A plan started to form in his mind.

        "Okay brats listen up" he barked loud enough for them all to hear. "Here's the plan. We don't have enough gas or blades to cut through the titans and even if we did we are still far from the walls.. Jaeger's titan powers won't be able to help either." He paused and watched their reactions. They all knew of the grim situation and having it voiced for them had somehow made it more real. More certain that they were doomed. It showed in their faces.

        Historia spoke up. "There must be something..." A feeling Levi hadn't felt for so long crept into his throat. Uneasiness. "Yes, there's always something. Yeager will transform and get all of you back to the wall. I will buy as much time as I can." Everyone stared as he said that. There was no way he would live. He knew that and so did they. "But heichou...." Armin protested but Levi held up a hand to stop him. "Don't argue with me, we all signed up for this when we joined the Corps, sacrifices must be made for victory. All you of you brats should know that by now." They all looked down, avoiding eye contact.

        Finally Mikasa stepped forward. "You don't understand do you? We have to fight. To fight is to live another day to fight again. If we die here our lives would be useless. If we live we let humanity live. For as long as we're alive and fighting then so is the human race." Her voice was strong, not shaky or hesitant in the slightest. Levi nodded approvingly. "Hand in any good blades and gas! Only have enough to get on Eren once he's transformed! Get to your positions!" he shouted.

        Soon after that Rivaille squad was ready for one last dash. Eren was at the edge of the branch, his hand close to his mouth, ready to turn into the very species they were fighting. Mikasa, Armin, Historia and the others were close by, ready to jump onto Eren. Levi hung against the tree trunk by his 3D maneuver gear, blades out.

        There was nothing to be heard for several minutes then the yell "GO!!" was heard throughout the trees, shattering the silence. Levi shot from the tree into the mess of bodies that were the titans at the same time as Eren jumped, biting his thumb and transforming into the makeshift escape pod. Levi wasn't paying much attention as he sliced through as many of the titans as he could while avoiding their greedy hands. He glanced over long enough to see Eren running toward safety with his passengers hanging on for dear life.

        "They'll make it" he told himself, "it's going well, the plan is perfect". Of course that's when things started to go wrong. Levi felt his wire getting tugged and he was jerked back, slamming into a soft body of a titan. He looked up at the swarming heads and arms grabbing for him and shot back up. "Not today you monsters!" he yelled, slashing again. Giant bodies hit the forest floor and more came in to take their place. "There's.. there's too many..." he thought, looking over to his retreating comrades. "Almost far enough. Just a little longer... "

 Twang.

        The sound of his wire getting pulled again. He struggled, his arms getting jerked in different directions. One of his blades slipped out of his hand, somewhere under him. he gripped his remaining weapon and tried to get free once more but it was futile. The titans had him. This was the end. He looked past the hideous heads to the last patch of blue sky as he felt teeth sink into his flesh. He won't be alone. No, his friends that had gone before him were waiting up there. He would get to see them again.

Petra. His Petra.

And he smiled.

For the first time in years.

         It was so long since he had seen her. Blood coursed down from his many wounds. Was that her he saw now? “I'm coming Petra, wait for me….” Darkness enveloped him. Was this death? Wait.. it was her, there was Petra, holding out her hand to him. All as well now.