Chapter 1

conscious at an instant; my eyes blinded by the golden light seeping through my curtains. Sitting myself up is always a struggle, so as I wake myself up, I admire the astonishing pattern from my laced curtains as it dances up my wall. A beautiful summer breeze airing my room. Birds chirping, rabbits prancing. I open my curtains and watch the daisies dance in the gentle breeze.
"What a beautiful day it is!" I cheer.
I am not one to lie in bed all morning so I get my jug of water fill my basin, and give my face and body a freshen up.
Then I head down my stairs, which are twisted in a perfect spiral, avoiding the creaky floorboards and careful not to wake my parents and sister. I walk with my chin up high and go to the kitchen to open my back door.
I lift my night gown, careful not to get it grimy, walking through my overgrown grass as it tickles the soles of my feet. I take in the fresh air as I let out my plaits, letting my long-brown hair rustle in the breeze. As I turn the other way, I see Aubrey looking out of her window. I give her a wave hoping she would notice me, and she did, greeting me with a warm smile that lit her face up. Aubrey has been my best friend ever since my family and I moved here all the way from Australia. Coincidentally, we were the same age and had so much in common.
As young children, we used to climb up a large tree in the woods and talk for hours on end. Anyway, every morning Aubrey comes over to my house to have breakfast with me so we can walk to university together.
"I'll be there in a minute!" she cheered.
Moments later my cat, Allissa, jumped over the fence surrounding my garden. She has silver fur and white paws. She looks up at me, her eyes like the ocean, so full of life. As she leans into me she purrs, giving away her warm presence. I kneel down beside her and let her climb up onto my back. As I slowly stand up, cautious and steady, I head to the kitchen to make our breakfast.