Chapter One:I Can't

I sighed as I looked at the picture in my wallet. It was her. Alex. She went missing fifth teen years ago,no one could find her.

God knows we tried,but there was only so much a couple of kids could have done.

We searched and searched. We followed the case so closely that the police tried to build a case on us. They suspected we had something to do with her disappearance.

But the lack of evidence showed that we didn't and the charges were dropped. We loved her,there was no way we could have helped with anything like that.

"Matt,you ready to go?" A voice broke my train of thought.

"Yeah,just a minute Brian.."

I shoved the picture back into my wallet and stood up beside my bed.

I groaned and made my way down stairs. To be greeted by a happy Brian. It made me sick,or maybe jealous.

Why could he be happy but not me?

It wasn't fair,nothing about my life was ever fair.

I lost the girl I love fifth teen years ago. I couldn't move on from her, no matter how hard I tried.

___________________________________

I sat in the back seat of Jimmy's car with the guys. They were all happy. They had the people they loved.

Yeah,they missed her from time to time but not like I did. Yeah,they loved her. But not in same shape,form,or fashion as I did.

"Matt?"

I didn't feel like answering. To be honest I didn't even feel like getting out of bed this morning.

But I had to go see her. Well not her but something like that.

We finally made it to the memorial and the guys gave me a look of sympathy. I didn't return it.

___________________________________

"Hey,Alex."

"I don't know if you can hear us right now,or if this is a waste of time."

Jimmy said earning a smack from Val.

"Hey,hey,you didn't let me finish."

He scoffed.

"But we miss you everyday,since you left us. We really do. We wish you would come home to us,please. If you're listening. If you are still out there. Somewhere..."

Jimmy handed the microphone to me.

I looked out on the crowd that gathered. Fans. They were so supportive,through all of it.

They never lost hope for her. But Jimmy did. Everyone knew that.

"Guys,thank you for helping us through this. We've have missed her since that horrible day,fifth teen years ago. She was the most amazing person. She really was. Pure perfection,she'd probably slap me for saying that but it's the truth..."

I smiled and waved at the few thousand of people below me.

Wow. They all had signs. Signs of hope. Hoping they will find her. I seen one that brought tears to me eyes.

It was a picture of her and it had 'Never lose hope' under neath it.

Smiling and waving slightly as I walked off stage dropping my microphone at my feet.

I couldn't look at the signs anymore. I missed her to much. She was gone. She was never coming back. I just had to accept it.

___________________________________

I made my way back to the car and slammed the door shut. I seen Val exit the stage and walk toward the car as well.

Jesus..I couldn't deal with her right now.

I loved her..I did. But I wasn't in love with her.

She said she understood that,but wouldn't give up on me. She tried to give me time. But she could never replace Alex. No one could.

"Hey,Matt. You stormed off. The fans are worried."

She smiled warmly and grabbed my hand. I felt nothing. No sparks. Just movement.

I sighed "I'm fine."

"Matt,you gotta let her go."

I scoffed like she knows how I feel. She didn't even like Alex. Wouldn't expect her to feel any different than when we were kids.

"I-I can't.."

"Matt,you have to. You're famous. If she wanted to see you,she'd be here with you. Like me."

"It's always about you isn't."

She sighed and nodded knowing I wasn't in the mood to talk. She left me alone. Alone. Just how I liked it. Well..how I grown to know it,without Alex by my side.

___________________________________

We signed autographs and took pictures with everyone that showed up to our surprising large memorial.

It was finally over. I loved the fans but I didn't think I could take anymore today.

It was stressful.

I made my way to my car and I was about to open the car door when my phone buzzed.

"Ah,what now." I groaned jerking it out of my pocket.

"Hello?" I pressed it to my ear.

"Is this Matthew Sanders?"

A gruff man's voice echoed on the other line.

"Yeah. And this is?"

They waited a moment before they responded.

" I'm Agent Jackson. I'm with F.B.I. I have some information that might interest you,Mr.Sanders."

My blood ran cold and chills ran up my spine.